This Coconut Bon Bons Recipe is perfect for the holidays. Candied creamy coconut with bits of walnuts rolled into a ball then dipped in chocolate.
Who doesn’t love bon bons? My husband’s grandmother sends us these sweet treats every Christmas. I had to have the recipe and make these because once a year is just not enough! These Coconut Bon Bons are a family Christmas tradition. Christmas is just not the same without them.
These Coconut Bon Bons will remind you of an Almond Joy just add almonds instead of walnuts. You can omit the nuts and substitute with a dark chocolate if you prefer Mounds instead.
Start with 3 cups of nuts and add more to your preference. Grandma puts in 4 cups of walnuts.
If you don’t have a large crock pot you can melt the chocolate using the double boiler method. The double boiler method is simply boiling water on the stove. Reduce the heat to maintain a simmer. Place a mixing bowl on top of the pot of simmering water and add chocolate, stir continuously. This will gently melt the chocolate. My recipe post for chocolate dipped potato chips has pictures of my double boiler method if you need to see an example.
These are so good and I hope you enjoy them as much as our family.
- 20 oz. confectioner sugar
- 1 tbs softened butter
- 1 Pinch of salt
- 1 14 oz. can sweetened condensed milk
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 7 oz. pkg of angel flake Coconut
- 2 cups chopped walnuts (add more if you prefer)
- 20 oz. semi sweet chocolate chips
- Mix together the first 5 ingredients until well blended. The mixture will be sticky.
- Add Angel Flake Coconut and chopped walnuts and continue mixing until blended.
- Roll mixture into balls and place on a wax paper lined cookie sheet.
- Refrigerate the coconut balls over night.
- The next day set your Crock-Pot on low and melt the semi sweet chocolate chips; stirring occasionally.
- Once chocolate is melted turn your Crock-Pot off.
- Roll coconut balls in the chocolate until covered completely. Roll 1 ball at a time. If the coconut balls stay to long in the Crock-Pot they will begin to fall apart from the heat.
- Place bon bons back on the wax paper lined cookie sheet.
- Refrigerate and serve when chocolate has set.
Contains affiliate links see my