How to make the best sausage balls from scratch with fresh ingredients with bold flavors. These Jimmy Dean Sausage Cheese Balls will have everyone saying, “these are the best sausage balls I have ever had!”
You are probably thinking, sausage balls with pancake mix? Yes Indeed! That favorite box of pancake mix makes these delicious sausage balls.
Everyone loves the classic sausage ball but, let’s be honest they can taste a little bland. I am taking this classic recipe and amplifying the flavors with quality and fresh ingredients.
If you make these for a party. Everyone will be like, “Yes! Sausage Balls”. But when they taste them they will say, “This is the best sausage ball I have ever had”. The ingredients make all the difference.
Do these steps for the Best Sausage Balls in the neighborhood!
So what exactly did I change?
- All dried herbs are changed out with fresh herbs from the garden. (Or the produce aisle of the grocery store)
- We grated quality Parmesan Cheese rather than sprinkling in the kind from that green container.
- We swapped out cheddar cheese for quality Extra Sharp Cheddar. And yes we grated that whole 16 oz. block too. Grating straight from a block is really the game-changer!
- This is really about technique. Before mixing in the Bisquick pancake mix, mix everything by hand. Really working the cheese and herbs into the sausage. I really like this mixture to be well combined before adding the Bisquick. It distributes the ingredients evenly so every ball tastes the same. When you add the Bisquick work it in by hand also. (Your hands are going to get a good workout from this recipe.)
Everything else in the original recipe stays the same including measurements and cooking time.
Sausage Balls Ingredients
- Bisquick Pancake Mix- For this recipe, I have used Bisquick and Aldi’s Brand, Baker’s Corner Baking Mix. Both mixes work.
- Bulk Pork Sausage – The best sausage brand for sausage balls is Jimmy Dean.
- Sharp Cheddar
- Parmesan Cheese
- Fresh Rosemary
- Fresh Parsley
How to make Sausage Balls
Heat oven to 350F. Line 2 large cookie sheets with silpat baking mats or lightly grease.
In a large mixing bowl mix together all ingredients except for the Bisquick. Mix by hand really working the cheese and fresh herbs into the sausage.
Add in Bisquik a cup at a time and really work it in by hand.
Shape the mixture into 1-inch balls and place them on the cookie sheets.
Bake for 20 to 25 minutes or until brown. Transfer the balls to a serving bowl or plate.
How to Reheat Sausage Balls
You may have leftovers or they get to room temperature if they are out for a long time.
- For leftovers: Store in an airtight container and refrigerate. To reheat place on a microwave-safe plate and reheat for 30 seconds or until heated through.
The same reheating instructions apply if they sat out too long at a party or potluck.
Sausage Balls don’t taste as good if they get cold. So keep an eye on them and reheat them as necessary.
- Tear sausage into pieces when adding it to the mixing bowl. This will make it easier to mix it into the other ingredients.
- Since the sausage is refrigerated it will be cold when mixing. If your hands are sensitive to cold temperatures be near a sink to rinse your hands in warm water.
More Appetizer Recipes
- Bourbon Meatballs
- Party Meatballs
- Italian Pinwheels
- Sausage Cheddar Breakfast Biscuits
- Football Party Food
The Best Sausage Ball Recipe
- 3 cups Bisquick
- 1 pound uncooked bulk pork sausage
- 16 oz. Sharp Cheddar Cheese, shredded
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1/2 teaspoon fresh rosemary leaves, crushed
- 1 1/2 teaspoons chopped fresh parsley
- Heat oven to 350F. Lightly grease a large baking sheet or use a Silpat baking mat
- In a large bowl, with your hands mix together all ingredients except Bisquick. Once ingredients are blended, use your hands to work in the Bisquick thoroughly.
- Shape mixture into 1-inch balls. Place on cookie sheet.
- Bake 20 to 25 minutes or until brown. Immediately remove from pan.
See blog post above for tips on what makes this sausage ball more flavorful than all the rest.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 40 Serving Size: 1 ball
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 129Total Fat: 8.6gSaturated Fat: 4gTrans Fat: 0.4gUnsaturated Fat: 0.8gCholesterol: 23mgSodium: 206.4mgCarbohydrates: 6.7gFiber: 0.3gSugar: 0.6gProtein: 7.9g