Beef Vegetable Soup Recipe. Every bite loaded with vegetables and ground beef this hearty hamburger soup recipe will have you all warm and cozy this winter.
A homemade vegetable beef soup served with grilled cheese is the perfect dinner idea for a chilly evening. Warm up with tender vegetables and chunks of ground beef that have been simmered in a tomato soup base.
An easy ground beef vegetable soup recipe that uses fresh and canned vegetables. Because this recipe has so many vegetables it should be called Vegetable Soup with Beef.
Ingredients for Vegetable Beef Soup
Along with the ground beef, you will need a large soup pot or a large Dutch Oven to make this hearty hamburger soup.
Here is the list of the vegetables for the soup.
- Carrots – Fresh, sliced.
- Potatoes – I use russets. Peeled and chopped.
- Green Beans – Canned.
- Cabbage – Fresh, chopped. When you add fresh cabbage to the soup it will look like a lot. It will cook down.
- Peas – Canned.
- Lima Beans – Canned.
- Pinto Beans – Canned
- Crushed Tomatoes – Canned. If you can not find the 15 oz. can of crushed tomatoes buy the 28 oz can. Use half of the can for this recipe and freeze the other half for another recipe. You also can substitute diced tomatoes for crushed ones.
For this recipe, the broth is beef and tomato based. So this is like a tomato beef vegetable soup. For the broth, you will need the following.
- Beef Broth – This can be made with a beef bouillion cube or with Better than Bouillion beef base. For the recipe, we used a beef bouillion cube.
- Tomato Sauce – We make this vegetable beef soup with tomato sauce. Don’t get marinara pasta sauce confused with tomato sauce.
- Water – The water will thin the consistency of the vegetable beef soup.
Additions or Variations
The great thing about this Vegetable Beef Soup recipe is that you can throw in or throw out any of the vegetable ingredients. This recipe is a great way to clean out the refrigerator or pantry.
- You can add corn if you like but I recommend using a small can of corn.
- 2 celery hearts sliced into small pieces.
- *Swap out the ground beef for stew meat or ground turkey breast for a healthier option.
- Swap out pinto beans for kidney beans
- Use beef broth (canned or in a carton) instead of beef bouillon.
- Look for cans marked with low sodium.
*Note: If you are using stew meat add a tablespoon of oil to the soup pot and brown stew meat before adding the rest of the ingredients.
- Crusty or toasty bread heated with butter.
- Saltine or butter crackers
- Grilled cheese sandwiches
- Goldfish Crackers or other cheese crackers.
This soup is great when you are sick. It is loaded with veggies and warm cozy comfort. I make this soup or this Old Fashioned Beef Stew. Wrap yourself up in a blanket and snuggle up to a bowl of this vegetable beef soup. It will make everything better!
How to make Beef Vegetable Soup
Cook ground beef in your soup pot then drain. Add in the rest of the ingredients and cook on medium until heated through and vegetables are tender.
Store leftovers in your soup pot with a lid or transfer them to containers with lids. Refrigerate the leftovers. Leftovers are good for about three days.
Freeze leftovers. In the freezer, this Vegetable Beef soup keeps for 3 months.
Heat up leftovers in the microwave stirring in between until heated throw. Use a container lid or paper towel and lay it on top of your bowl to block any splatters.
Recipe for Vegetable Beef Soup
Vegetable Beef Soup
Vegetable Beef Soup
- 1 pound ground beef
- 2 cans tomato sauce, 15 oz each.
- 1 can crushed tomatoes, 15 oz.
- 16 oz. water
- 1 beef bouillon cube
- 1 can cut green beans, 14.5 oz. (drained)
- 1 can pinto beans, 15 oz. (drained and rinsed)
- 1 small can lima beans, 8.5 oz. (drained and rinsed)
- 1 small can sweet peas, 8.5 oz. (drained)
- 2 carrots, sliced into bite-size pieces
- 2 russet potatoes, sliced into bite-size pieces
- 1/4 head of cabbage, sliced into small pieces
- In a large pot cook the ground beef. Drain and return to the pot.
- Over medium heat add the remaining ingredients.
- Bring to a boil, lower the heat, cover and simmer until potatoes and carrots are fork tender.
- Serve with crusty bread.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 10 Serving Size: 1 cup
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 369Total Fat: 6.9gSaturated Fat: 2gUnsaturated Fat: 0.5gCholesterol: 28.3mgSodium: 898.4mgCarbohydrates: 58.9gFiber: 11.3gSugar: 9.3gProtein: 20.4g