Vegetable Beef Soup Recipe. Loaded with vegetables and ground beef this comfort food soup recipe will have you all warm and cozy this winter.
I love dipping warmed bread or grilled cheese sandwiches in this vegetable beef soup. It makes such a cozy dinner on a cold winter day.
What you will need to make Vegetable Beef Soup
A large soup pot or large Dutch Oven.
- Green Beans
- Lima Beans
- Pinto Beans
- Crushed Tomatoes
*Note: If you can not find the 15 oz. can of crushed tomatoes buy the 28 oz can. Use half of the can for this recipe and freeze the other half of the can for another recipe.
If you don’t have crushed tomatoes substitute with diced tomatoes.
Beef bouillon, water, and tomato sauce make the broth. The simmered veggies give the broth a wonderful flavor.
*Note: I used canned tomato sauce. Do not confuse the tomato sauce with jarred Marinara sauces in the pasta aisle.
Additions or Variations
The great thing about this Vegetable Beef Soup recipe is that you can throw in or throw out any of the vegetable ingredients. This recipe is a great way to clean out the cupboard.
- You can add corn if you like but I recommend using a small can of corn.
- 2 celery hearts sliced into small pieces.
- *Swap out the ground beef for stew meat.
- Swap out pinto beans for kidney beans
- Use beef broth (canned or in a carton) instead of beef bouillon.
- Look for cans marked with low sodium.
*Note: If you are using stew meat add a tablespoon of oil to the soup pot and brown stew meat before adding the rest of the ingredients.
- Crusty or toasty bread heated with butter.
- Saltine or butter crackers
- Grilled cheese sandwiches
- Goldfish Crackers or other cheese crackers.
This soup is great when you are sick. It is loaded with veggies and warm cozy comfort. I make this soup or this Old Fashioned Beef Stew. Wrap yourself up in a blanket and snuggle up to a bowl of this vegetable beef soup. It will make everything better!
How to make Vegetable Beef Soup with Ground Beef
Cook ground beef in your soup pot then drain. Add in the rest of the ingredients and cook on medium until heated through and veggies are tender.
Store leftovers in your soup pot with a lid or transfer to containers with lids. Refrigerate the leftovers. Leftovers are good for about three days.
Freeze leftovers. In the freezer, this Vegetable Beef soup keeps for 3 months.
Heat up leftovers in the microwave stirring in between until heated throw. Use a container lid or paper towel and lay it on top of your bowl to block any splatters.
Recipe for Vegetable Beef Soup
Vegetable Beef Soup
- 1 pound ground beef
- 2 cans tomato sauce 15 oz each.
- 1 can crushed tomatoes 15 oz.
- 16 oz. water
- 1 beef bouillon cube
- 1 can cut green beans 14.5 oz. (drained)
- 1 can pinto beans 15 oz. (drained and rinsed)
- 1 small can lima beans 8.5 oz. (drained and rinsed)
- 1 small can sweet peas 8.5 oz. (drained)
- 2 carrots sliced into bite-size pieces
- 2 russet potatoes sliced into bite-size pieces
- 1/4 head of cabbage sliced into small pieces
In a large pot cook the ground beef. Drain and return to the pot.
Over medium heat add the remaining ingredients.
Bring to a boil, lower the heat, cover and simmer until potatoes and carrots are fork tender.
Serve with crusty bread.