This Instant Pot 3 Packet Pot Roast Recipe is delicious tender comfort food that is ready in an hour and thirty minutes.
If you don’t have an Instant Pot you need to get one. Have you ever planned to have a pot roast but got busy and forgot to start it in the slow cooker. By the time you remember it is too late. Um…if I start it now dinner won’t be ready until 10 pm. I have done that more times than I would like to count. Now with my Instant Pot, this pot roast is ready in an hour and a half.
Instant Pot Size and Pot Roast Size
For this recipe, I used my DUO60 6 quart Instant Pot.
My chuck roast weighed 3 lbs. and it was a perfect fit along with the vegetables.
Searing the roast. Instant Pot vs. Large Skillet
I have done both and recommend searing the roast in a large skillet. It is easier to maneuver when searing all sides of the roast. However, if you need to do it in the instant pot, use an oven mitt to hold the pot from spinning. Get the best grip on the beef with your tongs before lifting and turning the meat.
Transfer the vegetables and roast into a 9×13 baking dish or deep serving plate. This 3 packet pot roast makes a lot of gravy. Then pour the gravy over the top. Serve with dinner rolls and you are all set!
More Instant Pot Recipes
- Browse all of our Instant Pot Recipes.
Instant Pot 3 Packet Pot Roast Recipe
- 3 lbs chuck roast
- 1/4 cup flour
- 1 Tbsp vegetable oil
- 1 lb red potatoes
- 3 carrots, cut into 1/2 inch chunks
- 2 celery ribs, cut into 1/2 inch chunks
- 1 small onion, sliced
- 1 cup water
- 1 packet Ranch Salad Dressing and Seasoning Mix, 1 oz. packet
- 1 packet Brown Gravy Mix, 0.87 oz. packet
- 1 packet Zesty Italian Salad Dressing & Recipe Mix, 0.60 oz. packet
- Press the saute button on your instant pot and allow a few minutes for it to heat.
- Meanwhile flour your chuck roast.
- Add oil to your instant pot. Then place the floured chuck roast into the instant pot. Fit it in as best as you can. It will most likely not sit flat on the bottom.
- Let the meat sear for about 3 minutes before turning it over with a pair of tongs. Let the meat sear for about 3 more minutes continue turning until all sides are seared. *See notes for searing in a pan.
- In 1 cup of warm water add in the 3 packets and whisk until smooth. Pour over the vegetables and chuck roast.
- Turn off the Saute and add in the vegetables and pour the gravy mixture over the top.
- Set your instant pot to Manual, High Pressure and for 70 minutes.
- After the 70 minutes allow your Instant Pot to do a "Natural Release" for 10 minutes.
- Transfer roast and vegetables to a serving platter and pour gravy over.
This recipe is made with a 3lbs chuck roast. Anything larger will cause a burn message on your Instant Pot.
I found it to be a lot easier and maneuverable to saute the chuck roast in a large cast-iron pan.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 6 Serving Size: 1 grams
Amount Per Serving: Unsaturated Fat: 0g
Recipe adapted from Slow Cooker 3 Packet Pot Roast