Instant Pot Pinto Beans and Ham Recipe. Make this classic comfort food recipe in half the time in your pressure cooker.
There is nothing like a hot bowl of pinto beans and ham on a cold winter day. Especially with a piece of cornbread soaking in the juices. Am I right!? Now that we are armed with Instant Pots that recipe that took all day is now done in half the time. Pinto beans have always been a weekend recipe. Now you can get off work and make it for dinner.
Ingredients for Instant Pot Pinto Beans and Ham
- Dry Pinto Beans
- Ham Steak
- Chicken Broth
- Small Onion
- Dried Oregano
- Garlic Cloves
Ham Steaks vs. Ham Hocks
I grew up eating pinto beans with ham hocks. The ham was my favorite part. As an adult, I realized it wasn’t enough meat and switched to ham steaks. If you like meaty pinto beans and ham you may want to make the switch. The ham still is super tender and just as delicious.
Instant Pot Pinto Beans and Ham Cook Time
This recipe comes together in just under an hour. Once your Instant Pot comes to pressure the beans and ham will cook for 50 minutes. Once the cooking time is over you will want to allow your instant pot to do a “natural release” for 40 minutes.
More Instant Pot Recipes
- Instant Pot Chili
- Instant Pot Salsa Lime Chicken Tacos
- Instant Pot Tamales
- Browse all of our Instant Pot Recipes.
How to Convert Pinto Beans Recipe to Slow Cooker.
Instant Pot Pinto Beans and Ham Recipe
- 16 ounces dry pinto beans, rinsed
- 1 lb bone-in ham steak, cut into chunks
- 40 ounces chicken broth
- 3 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1/2 medium onion, chopped
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- Rinse beans in a colander and transfer to your instant pot.
- Add the remaining ingredients and stir.
- Click on the "Bean/Chili" button. Set timer to 50 minutes.
- Allow the Instant Pot to do a natural release for 40 minutes. The beans will still be cooking so don't vent too early. Turn the knob to venting to release any final pressure after 40 minutes.
- Stir then serve.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 8 Serving Size: 1 grams
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 281Total Fat: 4gSaturated Fat: 1gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 2gCholesterol: 29mgSodium: 1304mgCarbohydrates: 37gFiber: 9gSugar: 2gProtein: 24g
All amounts are estimates and DailyAppetite takes no responsibility for actual figures since calculations vary by packaging and supplier.