Mexican Coffee Recipe. The Mexican Coffee Cocktail is blended with coffee tequila and Kahlua, a dash of vanilla, and cinnamon topped off with whipped cream.
This Mexican Coffee Cocktail is inspired by the Carajillo drink recipe. Carajillo is a hot coffee drink made with liquor. Carajillo with a Mexican influence is made with coffee liquor and a splash of tequila. Other recipe influences include Spain, Latin America, and Cuba.
The rich color, smooth flavor, and warmth of the mug just take me to my happy place. Especially on a cold morning.
Ingredients for Mexican Coffee
Working from home there is no justification for driving to a local coffee shop for premium coffee drinks. It is just more affordable to make them at home. I might drink 3 vanilla lattes in one day. At a local coffee house that could cost up to $20. At a restaurant, this Mexican coffee cocktail can cost up to $9. Ouch! Take your coffee seriously and start brewing at home!
- Milk – Half & Half or Whole Milk, steamed. If you are needing a nondairy option I found Oatmilk froths up really nice!
- Sweetener – I have used simple syrup, regular granulated sugar, and vanilla syrup. The vanilla syrup really puts the Mexican coffee drink over the top!
- Tequila – You just want a splash. The flavor is there but not too overwhelming.
- Kahlua – Tequila, and Kahlua are what make this a Mexican Coffee.
- Cinnamon – All you need is a light sprinkle of cinnamon over the top of the coffee and Kahlua drink.
- Whipped Cream – Because at this point why not! This indulgent after-dinner cocktail is like dessert. This ingredient is optional but you won’t regret it.
How to Froth Milk without an espresso machine.
- This inexpensive milk frother is the best thing on the planet according to any coffee lover. It steams and froths milk in about a minute.
- I have the Keurig K-Cafe and it is a workhorse! It has a built-in milk frother. Easy to clean and convenient.
Check out my Cold Brew Bourbon Mocha. It is a game-changer!
Mexican Coffee Recipe
- 2 oz. espresso or strong brewed coffee
- 5 oz. milk or half & half - steamed
- 0.5 oz. simple syrup
- 0.5 oz. tequila
- 1 oz. Kahlua coffee liqueur
- a dash of cinnamon and a pinch to sprinkle on top.
- whipped cream for topping
- Brew espresso and steam/frothed milk.
- In a mug pour in espresso, vanilla syrup, Kahlua, tequila, and a dash of cinnamon and stir.
- Pour in steamed frothed milk.
- Top with whipped cream and sprinkle the top with cinnamon.
- Serve immediately.
- See the post above for our tips on frothing milk if you don't have an espresso machine.
- Add the tiniest pinch of cayenne over the top with the cinnamon for a subtle hint of heat.
- Chill the Mexican Coffee Cocktail and serve over ice.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 1 Serving Size: 1 grams
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 283Total Fat: 6gSaturated Fat: 4gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 2gCholesterol: 22mgSodium: 97mgCarbohydrates: 28gFiber: 0gSugar: 26gProtein: 6g
All amounts are estimates and DailyAppetite takes no responsibility for actual figures since calculations vary by packaging and supplier.