This is the Homemade Taco Seasoning Mix recipe that will make you forget all about those little mix packets.
This is the homemade taco seasoning mix recipe we use for our beef tacos, nachos, and burritos. The grinding of the seasonings really brings out the flavors of the seasonings. It is a little spicy but after you load your taco with cheese, lettuce, and sour cream the spice balances out.
Ingredients in Homemade Taco Seasoning Mix:
- Chili powder
- onion powder
- Garlic powder
- Crushed Red Pepper Flakes
How to make Homemade Taco Seasoning Mix:
You add all the seasonings to a bowl and mix to combine. Our secret is grinding the seasoning together using a Mortar and Pestle to release the flavors and aromas of the seasonings. If you don’t have a mortar and pestle just use the opposite end of a wooden spoon to crush and grind the seasoning. See the recipe below for seasoning measurements.
Homemade Taco Seasoning Mix is simple to make and so much better than those little packets you find at the grocery store. Once you try this blend you won’t go back to those packets. Plus once you try it you can experiment with the number of seasonings. If you like more of a spicy flavor add more red pepper flakes. If you like a more garlic flavor add more garlic. Keep tweaking this basic recipe to create your own. Just print out the recipe and make notes of your adjustments.
How to make tacos:
This is how we make our American-style tacos. Toast tacos shells in the oven for 7 minutes at 250F. Load them up with ground beef seasoned with the below recipe, shredded lettuce, shredded sharp cheddar cheese, and diced Roma tomatoes, with hot sauce and sour cream. The messier the better.
- 1 tablespoon and 1/4 teaspoon of chili powder
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 1/4 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1/4 teaspoon dried oregano
- In a mortar and pestle mix together all the ingredients.
- Use the pestle to crush and grind the ingredients to release there full flavor and aroma.
- Brown 1 pound ground beef. Drain fat. Add 1/4 cup water and seasoning and mix until fully incorporated. Turn heat down and simmer for 3-4 minutes.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 12 Serving Size: 1 grams
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 3Total Fat: 0gSaturated Fat: 0gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 0gCholesterol: 0mgSodium: 179mgCarbohydrates: 0gFiber: 0gSugar: 0gProtein: 0g