This warm salad is loaded with roasted vegetables, massaged kale and Farro. There is sliced almonds for a tender crunch and the salad is tossed in a herb vinaigrette. This salad can be served as a hearty side or as the main dish. Perfect for Meatless Monday or vegetarian diets.
Kale and Farro Salad with Roasted Vegetables and Feta Cheese
- 1 cup Ferro
- 1 1/2 cup water
- 3 carrots, cut into 1/2 inch pieces
- 1 cup cubed butternut squash
- 2 cups Brussels sprouts
- 1 TBS & 1 tsp olive oil
- 1/8 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup sliced almonds
- 3 Medjool dates, seed removed and diced.
- 4 cups chopped kale
- 1/2 cup feta cheese, crumbles
For the dressing:
- 1/3 cup olive oil
- 1/4 cup red wine vinegar
- 1 TBS Za'atar spice mix
- 2 tsp honey
- Bring water to a boil. Toss in Farro, stir, and reduce heat to the lowest setting and cook for 20 minutes. Pour Farro into a colander to drain excess water. Let cool.
- Toss carrots, squash and Brussels sprouts in olive oil and spread out on a large baking sheet. Sprinkle with salt. Place in a 500F oven and roast for 10 - 12 minutes until the Brussels sprouts begin to caramelize but not burn.
- In a large bowl massage kale until it is silky. Toss in Farro, roasted vegetables, almonds, and dates.
- In a small bowl whisk together the dressing ingredients.
- Pour dressing into salad and toss to coat.
- Sprinkle feta cheese over the top and serve.
Adapted from the Washington Post, Roasted Vegetable and Farro Salad
This post contains affiliate links.