Apple Roll is a moist spiced apple cake rolled in coconut, powdered sugar, and pecans and filled with a sweetened cream cheese mixture.
My husband took over the kitchen to make one of his favorite holiday recipes. This is his mom’s recipe for an Apple Roll or Apple Log as we call it!
This is such a delicious apple roll recipe. Brandon made one for our Thanksgiving Party and we enjoyed the last slices the next morning for breakfast with our coffee.
We make this Apple Cake Roll every Fall and again around the Christmas Holidays. Around September the cravings for this Apple Swiss Roll start to kick in.
Apple Roll Recipe Ingredients
Ingredients for the Cake
- baking powder
Ingredients for the Cream Cheese Filling
- powdered sugar (confectioners sugar)
- cream cheese
Ingredients for the Outer Cake Topping
- angel flaked coconut
- powdered sugar
- chopped pecans
After the Apple Roll has sat overnight I sprinkle more powdered sugar and coconut over the top of the cake roll. It makes a prettier presentation of the cake.
Apple Roll Variations
You can swap out pecans for walnuts. Use whichever nut is your favorite.
- The first picture is the rolled out aluminum foil with the coconut mixture. I did not capture any images that show the first roll with the foil and the unrolling.
- The second picture is after the cream cheese mixture has been spread and my husband is simply using the foil to help him roll the cake so more of the outer toppings stick to the cake.
- The final picture is after the final roll and he is just wrapping the Apple Roll in the foil.
More Apple Recipes
Apple Cake Roll Recipe
Ingredients for Cake
- 1 cup sugar
- 3 eggs
- 3/4 cup flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp nutmeg
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 2 tsp cinnamon
- 1 cup applesauce
Ingredients for Outer Cake Topping
- 1/2 cup powdered sugar
- 1/2 cup angel flake coconut
- 1/2 cup chopped pecans
- *add more if desired
Ingredients for Cream Cheese Filling
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 4 Tbs butter
- 8 oz cream cheese
- 1/2 tsp vanilla
- Mix together all cake ingredients.
- Spread evenly on a greased and floured jelly roll pan.
- Bake at 375F for 15 minutes.
- Roll out aluminum foil a little longer than your jelly roll pan.
- Evenly spread all the ingredients for the Outer Cake Topping onto the aluminum foil.
- When cake is done flip cake out onto the aluminum foil with outer cake topping. This takes a little skill.
- Roll up the cake with the Outer Cake Topping foil and let cool. (The foil gets rolled up with the cake.)
- Beat together all the ingredients for Cream Cheese Filling.
- Once cake has cooled unroll the cake slowly.
- Spread filling evenly on the cake.
- Re-roll and cover with aluminum foil and place in the refrigerator overnight before serving.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 10 Serving Size: 1 grams
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 394Total Fat: 19gSaturated Fat: 9gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 8gCholesterol: 91mgSodium: 307mgCarbohydrates: 53gFiber: 2gSugar: 42gProtein: 5g
All amounts are estimates and DailyAppetite takes no responsibility for actual figures since calculations vary by packaging and supplier.