Fried Cabbage and Noodles with Sausage recipe. Fried cabbage, tender egg noodles, and sweet Italian sausage tossed together with butter and caramelized onions.
A simple old-world cabbage and noodles recipe that is so good you will want seconds. I added Sweet Italian Sausage to add more flavor and make it more of a complete meal. This is my recipe for Haluski with Sausage. A cabbage recipe that is the main dish!
Ingredients for Cabbage and Noodles with Sausage (Haluski with Sausage)
- Sweet Italian Sausage
- Sweet Onion (Vidalia Onion)
- Egg Noodles
How to Make Cabbage and Noodles with Sausage
Simple ingredients and two pots. One pan to cook and one pot to boil.
First, take a large nonstick pot/pan. Make sure it is deep because you are going to fill it with all these delicious ingredients.
Melt some butter over medium heat and add in the sausage links. Cook the sausage links until browned then remove from pan and set aside. Melt more butter and add in diced onions and stir for 2 to 3 minutes. Next, add chopped cabbage to the pan. And toss mixing the onions, cabbage, and butter together. Once the cabbage mixture is tossed and coated with butter cover with a lid.
Meanwhile, boil a pot of water and cook egg noodles per their package instructions. Don’t overcook it. You don’t want soggy noodles messing up this recipe. Once noodles are done drain in a colander and add to your pan. Slice sausages into coins and add your sliced sausage to the pan and toss with tongs.
Cover and cook for a few more minutes until sausage is cooked through.
Once the sausage is no longer pink in the center this dish is ready to serve!
Watch the video here or save it to watch later on YouTube.
Cooking Tools Needed
- The deep skillet I used in the recipe video is the Calphalon 12 inch Classic Nonstick Pan
- I used rubber ended tongs so I don’t scratch the pan’s nonstick surface.
Recipe Tips for Fried Cabbage and Noodles
- Slice sausage while the water is boiling and egg noodles are cooking.
- You want a little caramelization on the cabbage and onions. It brings out a sweet flavor to the cabbage. A perfect flavorful caramelization on the fried cabbage is when the edges of the cabbage start to turn brown.
- The recipe uses a total of 4 tablespoons of butter. If you feel like your Haluski with Italian Sausage is too dry you can add more butter.
Recipe Variations for Haluski with Sausage
For a cabbage recipe that is the main dish, it is filling and you will want seconds! The Italian sausage and egg noodles blend perfectly with the fried cabbage and onions.
- Omit Italian sausage for a more traditional Haluski recipe.
- Swap out Italian sausage for diced bacon.
- Spice it up with Hot Italian Sausage.
Leftover Cabbage and Noodles and Sausage
- How long is Haluski good for? It is good for 3-4 days if stored in an airtight container in your refrigerator.
Place leftovers in an airtight container. To reheat place in a microwaveable bowl. For a single portion microwave for 1 minute and stir. Continue to heat in 20-second intervals until heated through. If your cabbage and noodles look dry add half a tablespoon of butter and stir until melted or microwave for 10 more seconds to melt the butter.
More Dinner Ideas with Italian Sausage or Egg Noodles
Cabbage and Noodles with Sausage Recipe
Cabbage and Noodles with Sausage
Fried cabbage, tender noodles, and sweet Italian Sausage tossed together in butter and caramelized onions. A traditional Haluski with Sausage.
- 4 tablespoons butter divided
- 19 oz. package of Sweet Italian Sausage
- 1/2 medium onion diced
- 1/2 head green cabbage cored and cut into bite-sized pieces
- 8 oz wide egg noodles
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
Heat a large nonstick skillet over medium heat. Melt 1 tablespoon of butter and add the sausages. Cook until browned on all sides. Remove from skillet.
Add 2 tablespoons of butter to the same skillet. Once melted add in chopped onions; cook and stir for 2 to 3 minutes.
Add chopped cabbage and toss until the butter, onion, and cabbage are well mixed. Cover with a lid.
Meanwhile, bring a pot of water to a boil and cook egg noodles according to package directions and drain.
Slice the sweet Italian Sausage into coins.
Remove the lid from the skillet and add 1 tablespoon of butter, egg noodles, sausage, and pepper then toss together. Cover and continue to cook until cabbage is tender and sausage is no longer pink in the center. About 7 to 10 minutes.
Add more butter if you feel it is too dry.