Quick and easy dinner recipe! This cabbage and noodles recipe has Sweet Italian Sausage, caramelized onions, and is tossed in butter.
A simple old-world cabbage and noodles recipe that is so good you will want seconds. I added Sweet Italian Sausage to add more flavor and make it more of a complete meal. This is my recipe for Haluski with Sausage. A sausage and cabbage recipe that is the main course!
Ingredients for Cabbage and Noodles with Sausage (Haluski with Sausage)
How to Make Cabbage and Noodles with Sausage
Simple ingredients and two pots. One pan to cook and one pot to boil.
First, take a large nonstick pot/pan. Make sure it is deep because you are going to fill it with all these delicious ingredients.
Melt some butter over medium heat and add in the sausage links. Cook the sausage links until browned then remove them from pan and set aside. Melt more butter and add in diced onions and stir for 2 to 3 minutes. Next, add chopped cabbage to the pan. And toss mixing the onions, cabbage, and butter together. Once the cabbage mixture is tossed and coated with butter cover it with a lid.
Meanwhile, boil a pot of water and cook egg noodles per their package instructions. Don’t overcook it. You don’t want soggy noodles messing up this recipe. Once the noodles are done drain in a colander and add to your pan. Slice sausages into coins and add your sliced sausage to the pan and toss with tongs.
Cover and cook for a few more minutes until the sausage is cooked through.
Once the sausage is no longer pink in the center this dish is ready to serve!
Watch the video here or save it to watch later on YouTube.
Cooking Tools Needed
- A deep skillet.
- I used rubber-ended tongs so I don’t scratch the pan’s nonstick surface.
Recipe Tips for Fried Cabbage and Noodles
- Slice the sausage while the water is boiling and the egg noodles are cooking.
- You want a little caramelization on the cabbage and onions. It brings out a sweet flavor to the cabbage. A perfect flavorful caramelization on the fried cabbage is when the edges of the cabbage start to turn brown.
- The recipe uses a total of 4 tablespoons of butter. If you feel like your Haluski with Italian Sausage is too dry you can add more butter.
Recipe Variations for Haluski with Sausage
For a cabbage recipe that is the main dish, it is filling and you will want seconds! The Italian sausage and egg noodles blend perfectly with the fried cabbage and onions.
- Omit Italian sausage for a more traditional Haluski recipe.
- Swap out Italian sausage for diced bacon.
- Spice it up with Hot Italian Sausage.
- How long is Haluski good for? It is good for 3-4 days if stored in an airtight container in your refrigerator.
Place the leftover sausage and cabbage recipe in an airtight container. To reheat place in a microwaveable bowl. For a single portion microwave for 1 minute and stir. Continue to heat in 20-second intervals until heated through. If your cabbage and noodles look dry add half a tablespoon of butter and stir until melted or microwave for 10 more seconds to melt the butter.
More Dinner Ideas with Italian Sausage or Egg Noodles
Cabbage and Noodles with Sausage Recipe
- 4 tablespoons butter, divided
- 19 oz. package of Sweet Italian Sausage
- 1/2 medium onion, diced
- 1/2 head green cabbage, cored and cut into bite-sized pieces
- 8 oz wide egg noodles
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- Heat a large nonstick skillet over medium heat. Melt 1 tablespoon of butter and add the sausages. Cook until browned on all sides. Remove from skillet.
- Add 2 tablespoons of butter to the same skillet. Once melted add in chopped onions; cook and stir for 2 to 3 minutes.
- Add chopped cabbage and toss until the butter, onion, and cabbage are well mixed. Cover with a lid.
- Meanwhile, bring a pot of water to a boil and cook egg noodles according to package directions and drain.
- Slice the sweet Italian Sausage into coins.
- Remove the lid from the skillet and add 1 tablespoon of butter, egg noodles, sausage, and pepper then toss together. Cover and continue to cook until cabbage is tender and sausage is no longer pink in the center. About 7 to 10 minutes.
Add more butter if you feel it is too dry.
Read the article above for more recipe tips and variations.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 6 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 244Total Fat: 156gSaturated Fat: 7.9gUnsaturated Fat: 6.4gCholesterol: 56mgSodium: 530.5mgCarbohydrates: 10.7gFiber: 1.7gSugar: 2.8gProtein: 16.3g