Crock Pot Smoked Sausage and White Beans Recipe. No soaking is required! The Great Northern beans are slow-cooked until tender along with smoked sausage for a warm comforting meal.
Warm up with a bowl of white beans and sausage on a chilly day. This recipe reminded me of my Slow Cooker Pinto Beans and Ham. The smoked sausage is browned before going into the crockpot. This releases more flavor! Who can resist smoked sausage being browned in a skillet? No need to soak your beans the night before. Add them to your crockpot and they will turn out perfectly tender. So tender that the beans make a stew-like consistency in this Crock Pot Great Northern Beans and Smoked Sausage Recipe.
Ingredients for Crock Pot White Beans and Smoked Sausage Recipe
- Smoked Sausage
- Vegetable Oil
- White Beans – Great Northern Beans or Navy Beans
- Fresh Thyme
- Celery Seed
- Chicken Broth
How to Make Slow Cooker White Beans and Smoked Sausage
- First, slice your smoked sausage links into about 1-inch thick slices. Once finished, you will heat oil in a skillet over medium-high heat. Add sausage to the skillet and brown the sausage. I like getting a nice little char on my smoked sausage pieces.
- Once the sausage has browned remove pieces from your skillet and place the smoked sausage in your crockpot. Add onions and garlic to the hot skillet and cook until the onions are tender. Transfer onions and garlic to your crockpot.
- Rinse beans and discard any bad beans. Add beans and the remaining ingredients to the crockpot. Give your crockpot a stir to blend ingredients evenly. Cover your crockpot and set it to High. Cook on high for 7-8 hours.
Make a bowl and garnish with a couple of sprigs of fresh thyme.
- Place beans in a colander and rinse. Remove any discolored beans and any debris.
- Save Time! Beat the morning rush by doing the prep the night before. This includes slicing sausage and chopping the onions and garlic. Have all ingredients ready in the morning so you can saute, dump, and go!
Recipe Variations for Slow Cooker White Beans
- Swap out Great Northern Beans for Navy Beans
- Use kielbasa or smoked turkey sausage instead of smoked beef sausage.
Leftovers (Storing and Reheating)
Store leftovers in an airtight container for up to 3 days in the refrigerator.
To reheat transfer a portion to a microwavable bowl. Cover with a paper towel. Reheat for 1 minute; stir. Continue to microwave in 30-second intervals; stirring in between until heated through.
More Slow-Cooker Recipes
Get all my Slow Cooker Recipes here for Free!
Slow Cooker White Beans and Sausage Recipe
- 1 tbsp vegetable oil
- 2 ropes Smoked Beef Sausage
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 medium onion, diced
- 16 oz. dried Great Northern Beans
- 2 cups water
- 32 oz. chicken broth
- 1 tbsp fresh thyme leaves
- 1 tsp celery seed
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- Garnish: Fresh Thyme sprigs
- Slice sausage into about 1-inch pieces.
- In a skillet heat oil over medium-high heat. Add sausage and cook until browned.
- Remove sausage from the skillet and transfer the sausage to your crockpot.
- Add onion and garlic to the skillet. Cook until the onion is tender.
- Transfer onion and garlic to the crockpot.
- Rinse beans and remove any discolored beans and debris then add beans to the crockpot.
- Add water, chicken broth, thyme, celery, and pepper to the crockpot and stir until evenly blended.
- Cover your slow cooker and cook on HIGH for 7-8 hours.
- Remove lid and stir.
- Serve in a bowl and garnish with fresh sprigs of thyme.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 10 Serving Size: 1 grams
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 290Total Fat: 19gSaturated Fat: 6gUnsaturated Fat: 0gCholesterol: 40mgSodium: 546mgCarbohydrates: 17gFiber: 4gSugar: 1gProtein: 14g