Get a unique and delicious Northern Bean and Smoked Sausage Crock Pot recipe to add to your dinner repertoire. With only a few simple ingredients, this comfort food makes for a cozy and flavorful meal. Try this hearty sausage and beans Crock Pot recipe on a chilly day!
Missing the warmth of comfort food on a chilly day? This Crock Pot White Beans and Smoked Sausage Recipe is here to the rescue. Thanks to the power of the slow cooker, Great Northern beans turn out perfectly tender with no pre-soaking required. Plus, the smoky sausage adds a nice flavor boost when browned before being added to the Crock Pot.
Ingredients for Crock Pot White Beans and Smoked Sausage
- 1 tbsp Butter
- 2 ropes Smoked Sausage – Smoked Beef Sausage, Kielbasa, or Turkey Sausage will work.
- 3 Garlic
- 1/2 Medium Onion – Finely diced. It is for flavor, not texture.
- 16 oz. White Beans – Great Northern Beans or Navy Beans.
- Chicken Broth – Better than Bouillion is what we used for this recipe.
- Fresh Thyme
- Celery Seed
How to Make Slow Cooker White Beans and Smoked Sausage
- First, add butter, onions, and garlic to a hot skillet and cook over medium heat until the onions are tender. About 5 minutes. Transfer onions and garlic to your crockpot.
- Next, Rinse the beans and discard any bad beans. Add beans, chicken broth, thyme, celery seed, and pepper to the crockpot. Give your crockpot a stir to blend ingredients evenly. Cover your crockpot and set it to High. Cook on high for 7 hours.
- 30 minutes before the Crock Pot Timer goes off slice your smoked sausage links into about 1-inch thick slices. Once finished, you will heat oil in a skillet over medium-high heat. Add sausage to the skillet and brown the sausage. I like getting a nice little char on my smoked sausage pieces.
- Once the beans are done. Add 1 cup of water to the beans and stir. The beans soak up a lot of water, This extra cup of water loosens the stew-like texture.
- Next, add half of the smoked sausage and stir in. Top the beans with the other half of the smoked sausage.
- Finally, Make a bowl and garnish it with a couple of sprigs of fresh thyme and enjoy!
- Place beans in a colander and rinse. Remove any discolored beans and any debris.
- Save Time! Beat the morning rush by doing the prep the night before. This includes slicing sausage and chopping the onions and garlic. Have all ingredients ready in the morning so you can saute, dump, and go!
Recipe Variations for Slow Cooker White Beans
For an even more comforting bowl, use Navy Beans instead of Great Northern Beans, or swap in Kielbasa or smoked turkey sausage.
Leftovers (Storing and Reheating)
Store leftovers for up to two days in the refrigerator. Your taste buds and wallet will thank you!
To reheat transfer a portion to a microwavable bowl. Add about 1/4 cup water and stir. Cover with a paper towel. Reheat for 1 minute; stir. Continue to microwave in 30-second intervals; stirring in between until heated through.
More Slow-Cooker Recipes
Get all our best Crock Pot Recipes for every occasion.
You may also enjoy our Crock Pot Pinto Beans and Ham recipe. The beans are slow-cooked with tender pieces of ham steak. Serve with sweet cornbread for a delicious comforting meal.
Our Hearty Cowboy Beans are loaded with beans and meat including smoked sausage made in the crock pot!
Slow Cooker White Beans and Sausage Recipe
Crock Pot White Beans and Smoked Sausage
White Beans and smoked sausage crock pot recipe.
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 medium onion, diced
- 16 oz. dried Great Northern Beans
- 48 oz. chicken broth
- 1 tbsp fresh thyme leaves
- 1 tsp celery seed
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- 1 cup water
- 1 tsp olive oil
- 2 ropes Smoked Beef Sausage
- Garnish: Fresh Thyme sprigs
- Melt butter over medium-high heat. Add onions and garlic and saute until onions are tender. Transfer to your crock pot.
- Rinse beans and remove any discolored beans and debris then add beans to the crockpot.
- Add chicken broth, thyme, celery seed, and pepper to the crockpot and stir until evenly blended.
- Cover your slow cooker and cook on HIGH for 7 hours.
- 30 Minutes before the beans are ready. Slice sausage into about 1-inch pieces. Add olive oil to a skillet. Brown the smoked sausage in a skillet heat over medium-high heat. Cook until the edges are a bit charred.
- Remove the lid to the crock pot and stir the beans. Add 1 cup of water to thin the stew-like consistency. Add more as needed.
- Add half of the smoked sausage to the crock pot and stir into the beans. Top the beans with the other half of the smoked sausage.
- Serve in a bowl and garnish with fresh sprigs of thyme.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 10 Serving Size: 1 grams
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 142Total Fat: 8gSaturated Fat: 3gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 4gCholesterol: 18mgSodium: 689mgCarbohydrates: 11gFiber: 3gSugar: 1gProtein: 7g
All amounts are estimates and DailyAppetite takes no responsibility for actual figures since calculations vary by packaging and supplier.