Try this Slow Cooker Casserole Recipe that is a fantastic side dish. This cheesy Crockpot Broccoli Casserole is easy and delicious!
Nothing beats a hearty casserole on a Sunday night! This cheesy Crockpot broccoli casserole is the perfect way to get your kids to eat their greens – and with delicious, creamy cheese, who can resist?
Fresh broccoli yields not only better flavor but also a better texture that frozen broccoli just can’t replicate.
Ingredients for Crockpot Broccoli Casserole
Good quality ingredients make great recipes. Here is your shopping list.
- 12 oz to 16 oz. fresh broccoli – You can buy fresh bagged broccoli florets or broccoli crowns. Use the produce scale. You will need roughly 2 large broccoli crowns. Don’t worry about big florets. The broccoli gets so tender in the slow cooker that it cuts like butter when done.
- 10 3/4 oz. can of Condensed Cream of Celery Soup – Do not add water.
- 6 oz. cheddar cheese – The best we have tested is using Kraft block sharp cheddar and shredding it yourself. Totally worth it!
- 1/4 cup diced yellow onion
- 1/2 teaspoon of Worcestershire Sauce
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- 1 cup crushed Ritz crackers.
- 1 tablespoon butter, diced
How to Make this Slow Cooker Casserole
Ready for a delicious slow cooker side dish?
- In a large bowl, combine broccoli, cream of celery, ½ of the cheddar cheese, onion, Worcestershire, and pepper.
- Pour it into a slow cooker sprayed with nonstick cooking spray.
- Give the top an extra crunch by topping it off with crushed Ritz crackers, then sprinkle diced butter pieces over the crackers.
- Cover and cook on high for 2½ to 3 hours.
- Finally, sprinkle the remaining cheese over the top and cover for another 7-10 minutes until it has melted. Serve, and enjoy!
What to serve with Crock Pot Broccoli Casserole
Casserole dishes like Broccoli and Cheese are comforting and hearty.
Serve yours with roasted chicken, mashed potatoes, and gravy for a comforting family meal with everyone asking for seconds!
Plus, this combo is a great side for holiday dinners, making it a winning crowd-pleaser every time.
Leftovers and Reheating
Transfer leftovers to an airtight container and refrigerate overnight. Reheat individual portions of leftover casserole in the microwave for 30-second intervals until heated through.
- As mentioned above in the detailed ingredients list buying fresh not frozen broccoli is a must!
- Skip the bags of shredded cheese and get a block of Sharp Cheddar. Shred 6 oz. yourself. Not only does it make the cheesy casserole taste so much better but it looks better too! Just look at those images! Once you stop buying shredded cheese and start buying blocks and shredding it yourself you will find it has a better fresher flavor. I know the bags of shredded cheese are convenient but pale in comparison in flavor.
- If you are using a Slow Cooker 7 quarts or larger you may want to consider doubling the recipe or adding an extra broccoli crown of florets and 1 extra can of cream of celery soup. The 7-quart and larger will be too big.
- Not all slow cookers are the same! Check on your casserole around the 2:30 mark. It could take up to 3 hours.
- On the sides, there might be some burnt-looking edges. If so that is ok! Those burnt edges taste good.
Recipe for our Slow Cooker Broccoli Cheese Casserole
- 12 oz. broccoli florets.
- 1 can, 10 3/4 oz. condensed cream of celery soup. (do not add water)
- 6 oz. sharp cheddar cheese, shredded. divided
- 1/4 cup diced onion
- 1/2 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 cup crushed Ritz crackers
- 1 tablespoon salted butter, diced
- In a large mixing bowl combine broccoli, cream of celery, half of the cheddar cheese, onion, Worcestershire, and pepper.
- Spray your slow cooker with nonstick cooking spray.
- Pour mixture into the slow cooker.
- Top with crushed crackers.
- Sprinkled diced butter pieces over the top of the crackers.
- Cover and cook on high for 2 -1/2 to 3 hours.
- Sprinkle remaining cheese over the top and cover for another 7-10 minutes until the cheese has melted.
Read the article above for all Recipe Tips and Tricks.
If you are using a Slow Cooker 7 quarts or larger you may want to consider either doubling the recipe or adding an extra broccoli crown of florets and 1 extra can of cream of celery soup. The 7-quart and larger slow cookers will be too big.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 6 Serving Size: 1 grams
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 238Total Fat: 17gSaturated Fat: 8gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 7gCholesterol: 39mgSodium: 580mgCarbohydrates: 14gFiber: 1gSugar: 3gProtein: 9g
All amounts are estimates and DailyAppetite takes no responsibility for actual figures since calculations vary by packaging and supplier.