Slow Cooked tender and flavorful pot roast with gravy made with 3 packets of seasoning envelopes! This 3 Packet Roast Crock Pot recipe is your answer for a delicious and comforting slow cooker pot roast with gravy.
This pot roast and gravy recipe is comfort food. Loaded with tender meat and vegetables. Every fork full is drenched in gravy. It is so good you will be soaking up every bit with a warm yeast roll before you decide on seconds.
The slow cooker method is great for busy days, and it allows your kitchen to fill with the amazing aromas of slow-cooked pot roast and gravy. Whether it’s a family gathering or a weeknight meal, this pot roast and gravy recipe will hit the spot.
Ingredients 3 Packet Roast
There is a bit of prep work for this recipe but it is worth it. You will need to chop your vegetables, flour your roast, then sear the roast before putting it in the crock pot. Finally, mix the 3 packets with water to pour over the top.
- Flour – The flour is used to coat the pot roast before searing.
- Beef Chuck Roast – for this recipe we used a 4lb roast.
- Olive Oil
- Salt & Pepper
- Potatoes – we used russet potatoes.
The 3 Envelopes:
- Dry Ranch Seasoning, Salad Dressing & Recipe Mix
- Good Seasons Italian Dressing & Recipe Mix
- McCormick Brown Gravy
How to Make 3 Packet Pot Roast
Luckily this slow cooker pot roast with gravy takes care of itself. Once veggies are chopped and beef seared it is just a waiting game. The house is going to smell amazing and once you remove the lid to your crock pot it is going to be heaven!
First, prep all your vegetables, chop the carrots and the celery and set aside. Slice your onion and layer the bottom of the crock pot with onion slices.
Next, pat dry your roast. Coat the roast with olive oil, then coat the roast with flour. Salt and pepper to taste. We do a generous amount of cracked Himalayan salt and cracked pepper.
Heat a cast iron skillet or large frying pan over medium-high heat. Once heated and with sturdy tongs sear meat for about 1 minute on all sides. Make sure you sear all around your roast as well as the top and bottom. This seals in the roast’s juices.
Lay the seared roast on top of the sliced onions in the slow cooker. Now add your carrots, celery, and potatoes.
Now, empty all 3 packets in a small bowl and add ¾ cup water, and stir until smooth. Pour this gravy mixture over the top of the vegetables.
Cover your slow cooker with the lid and set the crock pot on High and slow cook for 5 hours or until fork tender.
After 5 hours remove the lid and allow the roast to steam off for about 5 minutes. It is now ready to serve.
How To Serve Crockpot Pot Roast with Gravy.
Once the slow cooker is finished, from here you can carefully transfer the roast and veggies to a serving dish and shred the meat. We put ours in a 9×13. We place the shredded meat on one side and the veggies on the other. Leave the gravy in the crockpot to spoon over the roast and veggies.
Or you can shred the meat right in the slow cooker and serve from there. Be sure to stir to get the gravy mix through.
Baked some yeast rolls and your meal is complete.
3 Packet Pot Roast Variations
- Omit potatoes and serve with Mashed Potatoes , buttery egg noodles, or over Rice.
- When mixing the 3 envelopes omit the water and try it with beef broth, beer, or red wine.
- Cooking times may vary depending on the size of your chuck roast.
Leftovers and Reheating
How to save leftover pot roast.
- Transfer leftovers to an airtight container or a baking dish covered with plastic wrap. The pot roast and vegetables will keep good for 4 – 5 days.
- To freeze leftovers transfer them into a freezer-safe bag and eat within 2 months. To thaw place in refrigerator overnight, or place in cold water.
- For a quick and easy lunch idea freeze individual portions. Take it to work, heat it in the microwave, and make all your coworkers jealous.
How to reheat the leftover pot roast.
- If heating a large amount place it in your slow cooker and low until it heats back through.
- For individual portions place in a microwave-safe bowl and heat for 1 minute and stir. Repeat until heated through.
More Slow Cooker Recipes
Here is our recipe for Slow Cooker 3 Packet Pot Roast
- 1/4 cup Flour
- 4 lbs Beef Chuck Roast
- 2 tablespoons Olive Oil
- Salt & Pepper, to taste
- 1 large onion, sliced
- 1 lbs Potatoes, chopped
- 1 lbs Celery, chopped
- 1 lbs Carrots, chopped
- 1 oz. Dry Ranch Dressing Mix envelope
- 0.7 oz. Dry Italian Seasoning envelope
- 0.87 oz. Dry Brown Gravy envelope
- 3/4 cup water
- Line the bottom of your slow cooker with the sliced onions.
- Pat dry your roast.
- Coat roast with olive oil; salt and pepper to taste.
- Coat roast with flour.
- Add 2 to 3 tbsp of oil to a skillet and bring to medium-high heat. Sear roast on all sides; transfer to the slow cookers.
- Add carrots, celery, and potatoes to your slow cooker.
- In a small mixing bowl add the 3 seasoning and gravy packets. Add water and stir until smooth. Pour the gravy mixture over the vegetables.
- Cover and cook on High for 5 hours or until meat is fork tender.
- Remove the lid and allow the pot roast to steam off some extra liquid and for the gravy to thicken.
- Shred the roast and it is ready to serve.
- Please read the article above for all recipe variations and tips for pot roast and gravy. This includes process shots, how-to-serve, and leftover and reheating tips.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 8 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 697Total Fat: 39gSaturated Fat: 15gTrans Fat: 2gUnsaturated Fat: 21gCholesterol: 189mgSodium: 725mgCarbohydrates: 29gFiber: 5gSugar: 5gProtein: 60g
All amounts are estimates and DailyAppetite takes no responsibility for actual figures since calculations vary by packaging and supplier.