A rich and creamy Instant Pot Mashed Potatoes Recipe. See how easy it is to make mashed potatoes in your Instant Pot with this recipe.
Whenever a meal calls for mashed potatoes this is the recipe we use. The mashed potatoes come out perfect and creamy every time. Since we are making mashed potatoes in the instant pot the recipe time is a lot shorter.
When you first get your Instant Pot it can be a little intimidating. When I got mine I kept it simple and started with boiled eggs. Does this sound familiar? Then I moved on to chicken and tackled other simple things like beans.
I consider these easy beginner Instant Pot recipes and include this recipe for Instant Pot Mashed Potatoes. I will never go back to doing mashed potatoes the old way in a pot of boiling water.
The pressure cooker makes the classic mashed potatoes recipe even easier.
Ingredients for Instant Pot Mashed Potatoes
This Instant Pot Recipe for Mashed Potatoes is incredibly indulgent! For those looking for a lighter version, there are plenty of ways to make this classic dish fit into any diet. Whether you stick to the original formula or switch it up a bit, you’ll end up with the perfect side dish for any meal.
- Potatoes – Russet potatoes or Yukon Gold. Cut large potatoes in half so they steam evenly.
- Cream Cheese
- Garlic Powder
- Chicken Broth (optional. See below in “Recipe Tips”)
- Thyme or Parsley for Garnish
How to make Instant Pot Mashed Potatoes
- First, place peeled potatoes into your instant pot and pour water over them, and sprinkle with salt. Place the cover on your instant pot and move the lever to “Sealing”.
- Next, press the “Steam” button and set the Instant Pot Timer for Mashed Potatoes to 20 minutes. Allow time for the Instant Pot to come under pressure.
- Once the cooking time has ended do a quick release by moving the lever to “venting”. Once the released steam has ended and the floating valve has dropped remove the lid to your instant pot.
- Drain the potatoes and return them to the Instant Pot.
- Finally, add the butter, cream cheese, salt and pepper, and garlic powder and mash with a potato masher. Stir the Instant Pot Mashed Potatoes and serve with fresh herbs and a pat of butter.
How is cooking Mashed Potatoes in an Instant Pot easier?
Stumped on how to whip up creamy mashed potatoes? Rely on your Instant Pot! Making mashed potatoes in your Instant Pot is so simple that you’ll wonder why you ever bothered with the stovetop. Not only is it effortless, but you’ll also be creating a dish that’s more flavorful than ever before.
Get ready to say goodbye to tedious cooking and hello to delicious mashed potatoes!
- You don’t have to wait for the water to come to a boil.
- You don’t have to chop the potatoes so they cook evenly.
- No more stabbing the potatoes with a fork to see if they are done.
- The recipe is perfect every time!
Kitchen Tools you need to Make Instant Pot Mashed Potatoes.
- Instant Pot or Pressure Cooker – I have the 6-quart Instant Pot.
- Potato Masher – I prefer the texture of mashed not whipped potatoes and this tool does the trick.
- Peeler – I love peelers. I use it almost daily. It has so many uses. Peeling fruits and veggies and making garnishes like chocolate curls.
- To thin the consistency of mashed potatoes add a tablespoon of chicken broth at a time.
- Cut potatoes in quarters before cooking. This will make it easier to mash them later.
- Cube cream cheese for faster melting.
- Cut the stick of butter up for faster melting.
- Lighten up this recipe by omitting the cream cheese.
Pressure cooker mashed potatoes taste just like regular mashed potatoes. The cooking method is the only thing that has changed.
More Instant Pot Recipes on Daily Appetite
- Browse all of our Instant Pot Recipes. We have everything from sides to main course recipes.
Recipe for Instant Pot Mashed Potatoes
- 5 medium potatoes, peeled
- 2 cups water
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 stick butter, sliced into fourths for faster melting
- 3 oz cream cheese, cubed for easy melting
- to taste salt
- to taste pepper
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- fresh thyme or parsley, for garnish
- Place peeled potatoes in your instant pot.
- Pour in 2 cups of water and 1/2 teaspoon salt into your instant pot.
- Cover and move the lever to "sealing"
- Press the steam button and set timer for 20 minutes.
- Once the cooking time has ended do a quick release by moving the lever to "venting". Once the released steam has ended and the floating valve has dropped remove the lid to your instant pot.
- Drain the potatoes in a colander.
- Place potatoes back into the instant pot.
- Add in the remaining ingredients (except garnishes) and mash with a potato masher.
- Stir until all ingredients are well blended.
- Place mashed potatoes in a serving bowl and put a tablespoon of butter on top and garnish with parsley or thyme.
- Add about a tablespoon of chicken broth to your mashed potatoes for a thinner consistency. Continue to add chicken broth until you reach your desired consistency.
- Cut large potatoes in half so they will steam evenly.
- Use Russet Potatoes for soft light and fluffy pototes.
- Use Yukon Gold potatoes for dense and creamy mashed potatoes.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 8 Serving Size: 1 grams
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 220Total Fat: 15gSaturated Fat: 9gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 5gCholesterol: 41mgSodium: 341mgCarbohydrates: 19gFiber: 2gSugar: 1gProtein: 3g
All amounts are estimates and DailyAppetite takes no responsibility for actual figures since calculations vary by packaging and supplier.