Instant Pot Mashed Potatoes Recipe. See how easy it is to make creamy mashed potatoes in your Instant Pot with this recipe.
When you first get your Instant Pot it can be a little intimidating. When I got mine I kept it simple and started with boiled eggs. Does this sound familiar? Then I moved on to chicken and tackled other simple things like beans. I consider these easy beginner Instant Pot recipes and it includes this recipe for Instant Pot Mashed Potatoes. I will never go back to doing mashed potatoes the old way in a pot of boiling water. The pressure cooker makes the classic mashed potatoes recipe even easier.
Ingredients for Instant Pot Mashed Potatoes
This is a rich recipe for Mashed Potatoes. You may alter this recipe to make it lighter.
- Russet Potatoes
- Cream Cheese
- Garlic Powder
- Chicken Broth (optional. See below in “Recipe Tips”)
- Thyme or Parsley for Garnish
How to make Instant Pot Mashed Potatoes
Place peeled potatoes into your instant pot and pour water over them and sprinkle with salt.
Place the cover on your instant pot and move the lever to “Sealing”.
Next, press the “Steam” button and set the Instant Pot Timer for Mashed Potatoes to 20 minutes. Allow time for the Instant Pot to come to pressure.
Once the cooking time has ended do a quick release by moving the lever to “venting”. Once the released steam has ended and the floating valve has dropped remove the lid to your instant pot.
Drain the potatoes and return them to the Instant Pot.
Add the butter, cream cheese, salt and pepper, and garlic powder and mash with a potato masher. Stir the Instant Pot Mashed Potatoes and serve with fresh herbs and a pat of butter.
How is cooking Mashed Potatoes in a Pressure Cooker easier?
- You don’t have to wait for the water to come to a boil.
- You don’t have to chop the potatoes so they cook evenly.
- No more stabbing the potatoes with a fork to see if they are done.
- The recipe is perfect every time!
Kitchen Tools you need to make Instant Pot Mashed Potatoes.
- Instant Pot or Pressure Cooker – I have the 6 quart Instant Pot.
- Potato Masher – I prefer the texture of mashed not whipped potatoes and this tool does the trick.
- Peeler – This is my favorite peeler. I use it almost daily. It has so many uses. Peeling fruits and veggies and making garnishes like chocolate curls.
- To thin mashed potatoes add a tablespoon of chicken broth at a time.
- Cut potatoes in quarters before cooking. This will make it easier to mash them later.
- Cube cream cheese for faster melting.
- Cut the stick of butter up for faster melting.
- Lighten up this recipe by omitting the cream cheese.
Pressure cooker mashed potatoes taste just like regular mashed potatoes. The cooking method is the only thing that has changed.
More Instant Pot Recipes on Daily Appetite
Recipe for Instant Pot Mashed Potatoes
- 5 russet potatoes, peeled
- 2 cups water
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 stick butter, sliced into fourths for faster melting
- 3 oz cream cheese, cubed for easy melting
- to taste salt
- to taste pepper
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- fresh thyme or parsley, for garnish
- Place peeled potatoes in your instant pot.
- Pour in 2 cups of water and 1/2 teaspoon salt into your instant pot.
- Cover and move the lever to "sealing"
- Press the steam button and set timer for 20 minutes.
- Once the cooking time has ended do a quick release by moving the lever to "venting". Once the released steam has ended and the floating valve has dropped remove the lid to your instant pot.
- Drain the potatoes in a colander.
- Place potatoes back into the instant pot.
- Add in the remaining ingredients (except garnishes) and mash with a potato masher.
- Stir until all ingredients are well blended.
- Place mashed potatoes in a serving bowl and put a tablespoon of butter on top and garnish with parsley or thyme.
Add about a tablespoon of chicken broth to your mashed potatoes for a thinner consistency. Continue to add chicken broth until you reach your desired consistency.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 8 Serving Size: 1 grams
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 142Total Fat: 7.5gSaturated Fat: 4.6gUnsaturated Fat: 2.2gCholesterol: 20.7mgSodium: 499.2mgCarbohydrates: 17.3gFiber: 1.4gSugar: 1gProtein: 2.6g