Tequila Sunrise cocktail is a sunny blend of orange juice and tequila. Grenadine is slowly poured in and settles at the bottom for a gorgeous sunrise glow.
We were meeting friends at our favorite Mexican food joint and it was packed. The guys went to the bar and brought back Margaritas and Tequila Sunrises to enjoy while we waited to be seated. I hadn’t had a Tequila Sunrise in years and it was delicious. I ordered two and was feeling good.
Tequila Sunrise Ingredients
- Tequila – We can all agree there are different qualities of tequila. Since this cocktail is mixed with orange juice and grenadine syrup I would avoid using that $100-a-bottle top-shelf tequila and stick with an affordable Tequila Blanco.
- Orange Juice – Use fresh-squeezed juice only on a special occasion or when you are just trying to impress the crowd. It is a lot of work to keep the drinks flowing. In this case buy different types of oranges like Cara oranges, Blood Orange or Navel. *Note: The blood orange will not give you the same effect as the “sunrise”. Otherwise, just keep it simple and buy a carton. I like the “No Pulp” version of Simply Orange Juice for my cocktail.
- Grenadine Syrup – I use Rose’s grenadine syrup. Refrigerate after opening and it will keep for about 4 months.
- Maraschino Cherries – A definite must in the garnish department. These bright red beauties are delicious after soaking up the boozy juice in your glass.
- Orange Wedges– As you can see in my photo I cut my orange wedges in three different sizes. Just for decoration mimicking a sunrise. First, lay the orange on its side and cut it into slices. Next cut out 3 wedges from a slice. In addition, make each wedge slightly larger than the last wedge. In the smallest wedge make a slit all the way to the rind down the middle of the wedge and balance on the glass. For the middle wedge make the slit only 3/4 down the middle. Finally, the third and largest wedge makes the slit 1/2 way down the middle of the wedge. This will give you the staggering height for the wedges.
More Tequila Cocktail Recipes
Recipe for Tequila Sunrise
Tequila Sunrise Cocktail
Yield: 1 cocktail
Prep Time: 2 minutes
Total Time: 2 minutes
- 2 oz. Tequila
- 6 oz. Orange Juice
- 0.5 oz. Grenadine Syrup
- 2 Maraschino Cherries
- Orange wedges for garnish
- In a shaker add tequila and orange juice and stir.
- Pour the tequila orange juice over ice in a tall cocktail glass.
- slowly pour in grenadine syrup and let settle at the bottom of the glass.
- Add garnishes and serve.
Adjust liquid amounts to taste.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 1 Serving Size: 8 grams
Amount Per Serving: Unsaturated Fat: 0g