Warm banana bread pudding recipe with vanilla sauce. A warm comforting banana dessert that even tastes great as a leftover. Eat this bread pudding with banana recipe cold the next morning with a cup of coffee for a sweet banana breakfast recipe.
This is one of my favorite banana recipes. I found this recipe in the 1996 Taste of Home Collectors Edition Magazine and slightly adapted the recipe. We make it every year around the holidays. It is the best bread pudding recipe!
Bread Pudding is a dessert that uses stale bread. The stale bread is soaked in sweet or savory cream and egg mixture. The wet mixture softens the bread and it is baked creating a soft pudding texture.
Bread puddings are the comfort food of desserts. I always make them in the Fall and Winter months. They are best served warm. However, you certainly can serve bread pudding cold. I do this for breakfast with a cup of coffee.
This recipe for banana bread pudding doesn’t actually use banana bread. This is a bread pudding recipe that uses freshly sliced bananas.
Ingredients for Banana Bread Pudding
Who knew stale bread could turn into something so delicious as this recipe for bread pudding? I always buy a French loaf when I run into the grocery store. They usually cost around $1 and if it goes stale I always have bananas lying around.
Fresh bananas, cinnamon, nutmeg, and vanilla give it that banana bread flavor. Here are all the ingredients you need to make bread pudding.
- French Bread – You can pick up a French loaf in the bakery section of your grocery store and let it sit for a day or 2 to get stale.
- Vanilla Extract
- Ground Cinnamon
- Ground Nutmeg
- Light Corn Syrup
How to Make Bread Pudding with Bananas
When it comes to banana dessert recipes everyone immediately thinks of banana bread. Making bread pudding with bananas is just as easy as making regular bread pudding and tastes just as good. Once you have gathered and prepped your ingredients it is just tossing it all together and baking. This recipe is 2 parts, the bread pudding and the sauce for the bread pudding.
For the Bread Pudding:
- Preheat oven to 375 F.
- In a 2-quart casserole dish add your bread cubes and drizzle the melted butter over the top and toss to coat the bread cubes with the butter.
- In a medium mixing bowl lightly beat the eggs. Next, add milk, sugar, vanilla, cinnamon, nutmeg, and salt. Stir the bananas into the liquid mixture.
- Pour the mixture over the bread cubes and toss to coat.
- Bake the banana bread pudding uncovered for 40 minutes or until a knife inserted comes out clean.
While the banana bread pudding is baking you will make the vanilla bread pudding sauce.
For the Bread Pudding Sauce:
This makes a fabulous vanilla sauce for bread pudding.
- In a small saucepan melt butter over medium heat.
- In a separate small mixing bowl mix together the sugar and cornstarch. Add to the saucepan.
- Stir in milk and corn syrup into the saucepan. Cook and stir over medium heat until the mixture comes to a boil. Boil for 1 minute and then remove from heat.
- Finally, stir in vanilla extract and drizzle over bread pudding.
The vanilla sauce will be hot to warm and drizzled over the warm bread pudding it is so damn good! It takes this banana dessert recipe to a whole new level.
I use the same warm vanilla sauce to drizzle over my Dutch Baby Pancake. This bread pudding sauce doesn’t use alcohol such as bourbon or rum, unlike many other sauces. However, a glass of smooth bourbon with vanilla notes would pair nicely with this dessert.
Tips & Notes
- Serve leftover bread pudding chilled for breakfast.
- To reheat bread pudding, place it on a microwaveable plate and microwave in thirty-second intervals until heated through.
More Banana Recipes:
Everything from banana desserts to banana breakfast ideas browses all of our banana recipes.
You may also like our Pumpkin Bread Pudding Recipe.
Banana Bread Pudding Recipe
- 4 cups cubed day-old French bread
- 1/4 cup butter, melted
- 3 eggs
- 2 cups milk
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup sliced bananas
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 3/4 cup milk
- 1/4 cup light corn syrup
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Place the bread cubes in a greased 2-qt. casserole dish
- Pour butter over the bread and toss to coat.
- In a medium bowl, lightly beat eggs then add milk, sugar, vanilla, cinnamon, nutmeg and salt.
- Stir bananas into the mixture.
- Pour mixture over the bread cubes and toss to coat.
- Bake uncovered for 40 minutes at 375F or until a knife inserted in the middle comes out clean.
For the Sauce:
- Melt butter in a small saucepan.
- Combine sugar and cornstarch then add to butter.
- Stir in milk and the light corn syrup.
- Cook and stir over medium heat until mixture comes to a boil.
- Boil for 1 minute then remove from heat.
- Stir in vanilla.
- Serve warm sauce over warm pudding.
- Don't pour the vanilla sauce over the banana bread pudding until you are ready to serve it.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 8 Serving Size: 1 grams
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 323Total Fat: 14gUnsaturated Fat: 0gCarbohydrates: 44gProtein: 7g