Bourbon Candied Yams recipe. Yams or Sweet Potatoes candied in brown sugar cinnamon spiced bourbon sauce.
Take your mom’s candied yams recipe to the next level with bourbon and black walnut bitters. These decadent candied sweet potatoes will have you wanting seconds!
I absolutely love the sweetness candied yams bring to my Thanksgiving menu. It is like dessert before dessert.
Ingredients for Candied Yams
This stovetop candied yams recipe is rich and full of deep fall flavors. Here is what you are going to need.
- Yams or Sweet Potatoes – When shopping look for smaller yams. Larger older yams are not as flavorful.
- Light Brown Sugar
- Ground cinnamon
- Ground nutmeg
- Vanilla extract
- Black Walnut Bitters*
*The bourbon and black walnut bitters are optional. You can omit the ingredients from your candied sweet potatoes and they will still be delicious. The bourbon and black walnut bitters give the candied yams a richer flavor.
How to Make Candied Yams
There are a couple ways to make candy yams. For this recipe we are cooking them on the stovetop.
- First, you want to pick long small yams. These are younger and more flavorful than huge old yams. I prefer the long skinny yams since we are slicing them into coins.
- Wash, peel, and slice your yams into coins and set them aside.
- In a medium pot over medium-low heat melt butter and add the remaining ingredients. Toss to coat.
- Cover and cook on your stovetop on medium-low heat for 30 minutes or until fork tender.
- Transfer to a serving dish.
Variations for Candied Yams
- As mentioned before you can omit the bourbon and walnut bitters.
- You can swap out brown sugar for white sugar if you are out.
- Sprinkle the top with toasted chopped pecans.
Sweet potato recipes for Thanksgiving.
More Recipes with Bourbon
Bourbon Candied Yams
Candied Yams in a Brown Sugar Spiced Bourbon Sauce
- 2 lbs sweet potatoes, peeled and coined
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp nutmeg
- pinch of salt
- 4 tbsp butter
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 tbsp bourbon, optional
- 3-4 dashes black walnut bitters, optional
- In a sauce pan melt butter over medium heat.
- Add in remaining ingredients and toss to coat.
- Cover and simmer for 30 minutes or until fork tender.
- The last 2 ingredients, Bourbon and Black Walnut Bitters, are optional but will take your candied yams to the next level.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 6 Serving Size: 1 grams
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 282Total Fat: 8gUnsaturated Fat: 0gCarbohydrates: 49gProtein: 2g