Chicken Taco Soup Recipe. Shredded chicken, beans, and corn simmered in a tomato soup seasoned with taco seasoning.
This variation of Taco soup adds shredded chicken instead of ground beef. The soup simmers blending flavors of chicken, chili beans, corn, and taco seasoning in a tomato chicken-based soup. Top with sour cream, cheese, and cilantro, and dive in with your spoon and tortilla chips for a little crunch.
Ingredients for Chicken Taco Soup
- Cooked shredded chicken. (You can use rotisserie chicken)
- Beans – I use Bush’s Chili Beans. I use a combination of pinto beans and kidney beans. For the black beans, I use regular canned black beans with no chili flavor. I make sure to rinse them really good too!
- Whole Kernel Corn
- Tomato Sauce
- Diced Tomatoes with Diced Chilis – I use Ro-Tel.
- Taco Seasoning
- Chicken Broth
How to Make Chicken Taco Soup
To make Chicken Taco Soup the first thing you need to do is heat the oil in a large pot over medium heat. Add the onion and cook for 5 minutes.
Add the beans, diced tomatoes, corn, tomato sauce, chicken, and taco seasoning. Stir to combine. Stir in the chicken broth and bring to a simmer.
Simmer 20 minutes.
Serve the soup immediately with your choice of taco toppings like sour cream and shredded cheese.
Toppings for Taco Soup
These toppings for Taco Soup are optional but make the soup so much better!
- Sour Cream or Mexican Crema
- Shredded Cheddar
- Chopped Cilantro
- Sliced Black Olives
- Tortilla Chips
- Lime Wedge
- Sliced Avocado
Variations for Chicken Taco Soup
- Add a squeeze of fresh lime juice.
- Reduce chicken broth for a chili-like texture.
- Make it with ground beef! (see my link to Taco Soup with ground beef recipe below)
Chicken Taco Soup Recipe
- 1 small white onion, chopped finely
- 1 16 oz. can chili beans
- 1 15 oz. can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 15 oz. can whole kernel corn, drained
- 1 8 oz. can tomato sauce
- 2 14.5 oz. cans diced tomatoes with green chiles, undrained
- 1 1.25 oz. package taco seasoning
- 2 cups cooked, shredded chicken breast.
- 2 cups chicken broth, add more for desired consistency.
- Heat the oil in a large pot over medium heat. Add the onion and cook for 5 minutes.
- Add the beans, diced tomatoes, corn, tomato sauce, chicken, taco seasoning, and chicken broth, stir, and bring to a simmer.
- Simmer for 20 minutes.
- Add prefered toppings such as sour cream, cilantro, tortilla chips, and shredded cheese.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 8 Serving Size: 1 grams
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 520Unsaturated Fat: 0g