Chicken Taco Soup Recipe. Shredded chicken, beans, and corn simmered in a tomato soup seasoned with taco seasoning.
This variation of Taco soup adds shredded chicken instead of ground beef. The soup simmers blending flavors of chicken, chili beans, corn, and taco seasoning in a tomato chicken-based soup. Top with sour cream, cheese, and cilantro, and dive in with your spoon. Add tortilla chips for a little crunch.
Ingredients for Chicken Taco Soup
- Cooked shredded chicken. (You can use rotisserie chicken)
- Beans – I use Bush’s Chili Beans. I use a combination of pinto beans and kidney beans. For the black beans, I use regular canned black beans with no chili flavor. I make sure to rinse them really well.
- Whole Kernel Corn
- Tomato Sauce
- Diced Tomatoes with Diced Chilis – I use Ro-Tel.
- Taco Seasoning
- Chicken Broth
How to Make Chicken Taco Soup
- First, heat the oil in a large pot over medium heat. Add the onion and cook for 5 minutes.
- Next, add the beans, diced tomatoes, corn, tomato sauce, chicken, and taco seasoning. Stir to combine. Stir in the chicken broth and bring to a simmer.
- Simmer 20 minutes.
Serve the soup immediately with your choice of taco toppings like sour cream and shredded cheese.
Toppings for Taco Soup
These toppings for Taco Soup are optional but make the soup so much better!
- Sour Cream or Mexican Crema
- Shredded Cheddar
- Chopped Cilantro
- Sliced Black Olives
- Tortilla Chips
- Lime Wedge
- Sliced Avocado
Variations for Chicken Taco Soup
- Add a squeeze of fresh lime juice.
- Reduce chicken broth for a chili-like texture.
- Make it with ground beef! (see my link to Taco Soup with the ground beef recipe below)
Chicken Taco Soup Recipe
- 1 small white onion, chopped finely
- 15.5 oz. can mixed kidney & pinto beans in chili sauce
- 15 oz. can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 15 oz. can whole kernel corn, drained
- 8 oz. can tomato sauce
- 14.5 oz. cans diced tomatoes with green chiles, undrained
- 1.25 oz. package taco seasoning
- 2 cups cooked, shredded chicken breast or rotisserie chicken
- 2 cups chicken broth, add more for desired consistency.
- Heat the oil in a large pot over medium heat. Add the onion and cook for 5 minutes.
- Add the beans, diced tomatoes, corn, tomato sauce, chicken, taco seasoning, and chicken broth, stir, and bring to a simmer.
- Simmer for 20 minutes.
- Add prefered toppings such as sour cream, cilantro, tortilla chips, and shredded cheese.
If Bush Beans Mixed Kidney & Pinto Beans in Chili Sauce is not in your market substitute with half a can of each Pinto and Kidney beans. Add more to taste.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 8 Serving Size: 1 grams
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 350Total Fat: 8gSaturated Fat: 2gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 4gCholesterol: 433mgSodium: 1136mgCarbohydrates: 36gFiber: 9gSugar: 4gProtein: 36g