Bourbon Cranberry Sauce Recipe. This Easy Homemade Cranberry Sauce Recipe is made with bourbon and spices.
Cranberry Sauce is a sweet side or condiment commonly served at Thanksgiving and Christmas. The basic cranberry sauce recipe is cranberries, water, and sugar. The 200-year-old cranberry sauce recipe needs an upgrade. So we created a cranberry sauce recipe with bourbon. Our cranberry sauce has bourbon, brown sugar, and fall spices. Honestly, if you are not making fresh cranberry sauce for the holidays you are missing out. This boozy cranberry recipe will not disappoint. Be sure to make this popular Thanksgiving in advance as it needs to sit in the refrigerator for at least 1 hour.
Ingredients for Bourbon Cranberry Sauce
- Fresh Cranberries
- Brown Sugar
The best bourbons for boozy cranberry sauce are the ones you don’t like to drink straight. Keep the smooth delicious bourbons in Glencairn glasses and not in recipes. For the bourbon flavor to be picked up in a cranberry recipe you need a bourbon that packs a punch in flavor.
We recommend the following bourbons for cranberry sauce:
- Jim Beam
- Knob Creek
- Woodford Reserve
How to Make Homemade Bourbon Cranberry Sauce
When it comes to making cranberry sauce from scratch this recipe is quick and easy. This is the best cranberry recipe. It is different from other homemade cranberry sauces and so damn good.
First, you will want to rinse and pick out any discolored or smashed cranberries and discard them.
In a medium saucepan whisk together all the ingredients except the cranberries.
Next, you need to dissolve the brown sugar. To do this, bring the sugar mixture to a boil over medium heat. Once it comes to a boil reduce heat to medium-low. Whisk occasionally ensuring that the brown sugar is dissolving.
Once the sugar is dissolved add the cranberries and toss to coat with brown sugar bourbon sauce and continue to simmer on medium-low heat.
The cranberries will start to burst and the sauce will begin to thicken after about 15 minutes. You can also use a potato masher if your cranberries need help popping open.
Transfer bourbon cranberry sauce to a serving bowl and allow it to cool before serving.
How to Serve Cranberry Sauce
Serve cranberry bourbon sauce in a serving bowl and serving spoon. It is typically a sweet condiment so most people will take a heaping spoonful.
Serve with Turkey, Ham, Pork Tenderloin, or charcuterie.
How long does homemade cranberry sauce last?
Fresh cranberry sauce will keep for 2 weeks in the refrigerator in an airtight container. I store mine in a mason jar next to the rest of my jellies and jams.
Can you freeze homemade cranberry sauce?
Yes! Place cooled cranberry sauce in a freezer bag removing as much air as possible. Vacuum seal if you can.
Frozen cranberry sauce is good for up to 3 months. Label the freezer bag and save it for these leftover cranberry recipes.
Leftover Cranberry Sauce Recipes
Wondering what to do with leftover cranberry sauce? Here are some ideas.
- Shaken in a cocktail. Try shaking a tablespoon of cranberry sauce in a bourbon cocktail.
- Use as a spread on a charcuterie board.
- Top an 8 oz. block of cream cheese with a half cup of cranberry sauce. Serve with crackers and pretzels.
- Use as a sandwich spread for ham and turkey sandwiches.
More Cooking with Bourbon Recipes
As a person with over 200 bottles of bourbon in my home bar, we tend to come up with all kinds of pairings. Here is our list of Cooking with Bourbon Recipes:
Bourbon Cranberry Sauce Recipe
- 12 oz. Fresh Cranberries, rinsed
- 1 cup Brown Sugar
- 1 teaspoon Cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon Nutmeg
- 1/2 cup Bourbon
- 1/4 cup Water
- In a medium saucepan whisk together brown sugar, cinnamon, nutmeg, bourbon, and water.
- Bring to a boil over medium heat then reduce to medium-low heat. Whisk occasionally; making sure the sugar dissolves.
- Add cranberries and continue to simmer until cranberries are soft and burst. You can use a wooden spoon or potato masher to help the cranberries burst.
- Allow the bourbon cranberry sauce to thicken. (About 15 minutes)
- Remove from heat and allow to cool in the refrigerator for at least 1 hour before serving.
- If you don't have any bourbon you can substitute it with water.
- Rinse cranberries and pick out any cranberries that are bad.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 10 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 106Total Fat: 0gSaturated Fat: 0gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 0gCholesterol: 0mgSodium: 6mgCarbohydrates: 22gFiber: 1gSugar: 19gProtein: 0g