With this Kentucky Mule recipe, we will cover the Mule ratio along with the best bourbon and ginger beer. This ice-cold summer bourbon cocktail recipe will keep you refreshed and is perfect for day drinking.
A Kentucky Mule is a variation of the classic Moscow Mule. A popular drink made with vodka, ginger beer, and lime. Then served in a copper mug. For the Kentucky Mule variation, you swap out the vodka for Kentucky Bourbon.
Ingredients for a Kentucky Mule
Here is a list of ingredients and also the Best Bourbon for a Kentucky Mule.
- Bourbon – The best bourbon for a Kentucky Mule is Weller Special Reserve or Buffalo Trace. These are sweeter bourbons and blend well with the spiciness of the ginger beer and the sourness of the lime. They are also the best-tasting bourbons for the price.
- Ginger Beer – We used Cock N Bull Ginger Beer.
- Fresh Limes – If your lime is small juice the whole lime. If you have large limes just juice half or to taste.
We found the higher the sugar content in the ginger beer the better Moscow Mule. Our favorite is Cock N Bull. The second (and it was close) was Stoli’s Ginger Beer. With the Fever-Tree we had to add simple syrup to the Moscow Mule. The cocktail was too “spicy” without the sugar to balance it out.
- Cock N Bull
- Stoli’s Ginger Beer
- Gosling’s Ginger Beer
- Fever Tree
How to Make the Best Kentucky Mule
Kentucky Mule Ratio
- Enough ice to fill the mug to the top.
- 2 ounces bourbon
- Juice from one medium lime
- About half a bottle/can of ginger beer. Enough to top off the cocktail.
First, you need these Moscow Mule Copper Mugs. Fill the mugs to the top with ice. Next, add in 2 ounces of Bourbon, juice from 1 lime, and then top it off with ginger beer. Garnish with lime wedge and mint.
More Bourbon Cocktail Recipes
Browse all of our Bourbon Cocktail Recipes.
- 2 oz. bourbon
- Juice from 1 lime.
- 4-5 oz. of Ginger Beer. Enough to top off your cocktail.
- Sprig of mint
- Lime wedge
- Fill a copper mug full of ice.
- Add bourbon and fresh-squeezed lime juice.
- Top off with ginger beer.
- Garnish with a lime wedge and mint. Squeeze a wedge of lime over the top of the cocktail and serve.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 1 Serving Size: 1 grams
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 123Total Fat: 0.1gUnsaturated Fat: 0gSodium: 24.6mgCarbohydrates: 24gSugar: 7.9gProtein: 0.4g