With this Kentucky Mule recipe, we will cover the Kentucky Mule ratio along with the best bourbon and ginger beer. This ice-cold summer bourbon cocktail recipe will keep you refreshed and is perfect for day drinking.
Ingredients for a Kentucky Mule
Here is a list of ingredients and also the Best Bourbon for a Kentucky Mule.
- Bourbon – The best bourbon for a Kentucky Mule is Weller Special Reserve or Buffalo Trace. These are sweeter bourbons and blend well with the spiciness of the ginger beer and the sour of the lime. They are also the best tasting bourbon for the price.
- Ginger Beer – We used Cock N Bull Ginger Beer.
- Fresh Limes – If your lime is small juice the whole lime. If you have large limes just juice half or to taste.
We found the higher the sugar content in the ginger beer the better Moscow Mule. Our favorite is Cock N Bull. The second (and it was close) was Stoli’s Ginger Beer. With the Fever-Tree we had to add simple syrup to the Moscow Mule. The cocktail was too “spicy” without the sugar to balance it out.
- Cock N Bull
- Stoli’s Ginger Beer
- Gosling’s Ginger Beer
- Fever Tree
How to Make the Best Kentucky Mule
Kentucky Mule Ratio
- Enough ice to fill the mug to the top.
- 2 ounces bourbon
- Juice from one medium lime
- About half a bottle/can of ginger beer. Enough to top off the cocktail.
First you need these Moscow Mule Copper Mugs. Fill the mugs to the top with ice. Next, add in 2 ounces of Bourbon, juice from 1 lime, and then top it off with ginger beer. Garnish with lime wedge and mint.
More Bourbon Cocktail Recipes
Browse all of our Bourbon Cocktail Recipes.
Bourbon, Lime and crisp ginger beer served ice cold in a copper mug for a refreshing Kentucky Mule.
- 2 oz. bourbon
- Juice from 1 lime.
- 4-5 oz. of Ginger Beer. Enough to top off your cocktail.
- Sprig of mint
- Lime wedge
Fill a copper mug full of ice.
Add bourbon and fresh-squeezed lime juice.
Top off with ginger beer.
Garnish with a lime wedge and mint. Squeeze a wedge of lime over the top of the cocktail and serve.