With this Kentucky Mule recipe, we will cover the Mule ratio along with the best bourbon and ginger beer. This ice-cold summer bourbon cocktail recipe will keep you refreshed and is perfect for day drinking.
If you’re a bourbon lover, you won’t want to miss out on this Kentucky Mule Recipe. It’s just like a Moscow Mule, except the vodka is replaced with bourbon for a truly unique and delicious drink. Give it a try and enjoy the flavor of a classic with a Kentucky twist!
The Moscow Mule is a popular drink made with vodka, ginger beer, and lime. Then served in a copper mug. For the Kentucky Mule variation, you swap out the vodka for Kentucky Bourbon.
This is the one Summer Bourbon Cocktail that will get me in trouble. It is so refreshing on a hot summer day. First, it is ice cold. The lime and ginger combination is so refreshing. I can gulp this drink down it is that smooth and refreshing.
Ingredients for a Kentucky Mule
Here is a list of ingredients and also the Best Bourbon for a Kentucky Mule.
- Bourbon – The best bourbon for a Kentucky Mule is Weller Special Reserve or Buffalo Trace. These are sweeter bourbons and blend well with the spiciness of the ginger beer and the sourness of the lime. They are also the best-tasting bourbons for the price.
- Ginger Beer – We used Cock N Bull Ginger Beer.
- Fresh Limes – If your lime is small juice the whole lime. If you have large limes just juice half or to taste.
We found the higher the sugar content in the ginger beer the better Moscow Mule. Our favorite is Cock N Bull. The second (and it was close) was Stoli’s Ginger Beer. With the Fever-Tree we had to add simple syrup to the Moscow Mule. The cocktail was too “spicy” without the sugar to balance it out.
- Cock N Bull
- Stoli’s Ginger Beer
- Gosling’s Ginger Beer
- Fever Tree
How to Make the Best Kentucky Mule
Kentucky Mule Ratio
- Enough ice to fill the mug to the top.
- 2 ounces bourbon
- Juice from one medium lime
- About half a bottle/can of ginger beer. Enough to top off the cocktail.
First, you need these Moscow Mule Copper Mugs. Fill the mugs to the top with ice. Next, add in 2 ounces of Bourbon, juice from 1 lime, and then top it off with ginger beer. Garnish with a lime wedge and mint.
That is it. You will be sipping summer away with this bourbon cocktail.
Let me tell you, this drink doesn’t need any variations. As long as you have high-quality bourbon, ginger beer, and limes you are set! However, variations are what make cocktail recipes our own. By putting your unique spin on it the recipe becomes yours. So here are some ideas to inspire you.
- Bourbon Berry Moscow Mule: Muddle raspberries, blueberries, or strawberries in the classic mixture for a fruity twist.
- Cucumber Moscow Mule: Add cucumber slices to the Bourbon Mule for a refreshing touch.
- Tropical Mule: Combine bourbon, ginger beer, pineapple juice, and just a squeeze of lime juice for a tropical flair.
- Bourbon Apple Cider Mule: Mix bourbon ginger beer, apple cider, and a dash of cinnamon for a cozy, autumnal version.
More Bourbon Cocktail Recipes
Browse all of our Bourbon Cocktail Recipes. They are served up in a list with pictures so you can easily find your next bourbon cocktail.
Here is our recipe for a Kentucky Bourbon Mule
- 2 oz. bourbon
- Juice from 1 lime.
- 4-5 oz. of Ginger Beer. Enough to top off your cocktail.
- Sprig of mint
- Lime wedge
- Fill a copper mug full of ice.
- Add bourbon and fresh-squeezed lime juice.
- Top off with ginger beer.
- Garnish with a lime wedge and mint. Squeeze a wedge of lime over the top of the cocktail and serve.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 1 Serving Size: 1 grams
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 123Total Fat: 0.1gUnsaturated Fat: 0gSodium: 24.6mgCarbohydrates: 24gSugar: 7.9gProtein: 0.4g