Refresh your summer with the Kentucky Maid cocktail – a light and satisfying mix of bourbon, mint, lime juice, cucumber, and simple syrup. Discover variations and other easy summer bourbon cocktails while mastering the perfect summer drink.
Summer is all about enjoying the warm weather and indulging in refreshing drinks. And what better way to quench your bourbon craving than with a light and satisfying cocktail that captures the essence of the Summer season? That’s where the Kentucky Maid comes in – a delicious and easy-to-make cocktail that’s perfect for sipping while lounging by the pool or enjoying a backyard barbecue.
We will walk you through the ingredients you’ll need, how to make the perfect Kentucky Maid cocktail, variations to try, and other summer bourbon cocktails to add to your repertoire. Get ready to be the best bourbon host at your next get-together with this ultimate summer drink.
Kentucky Maid Ingredients
To make the perfect Kentucky Maid cocktail, there are a few key ingredients you’ll need. First and foremost, you’ll need fresh mint leaves – a staple in any good cocktail. You’ll also need fresh lime juice and simple syrup to balance the flavors. And of course, the star of the show – Kentucky Bourbon. Finally, you’ll need some cucumber slices to add a refreshing twist to the drink. Make sure all your ingredients are fresh to achieve the best possible taste. With these ingredients on hand, you’re ready to mix up the perfect Kentucky Maid cocktail.
- 2 oz. Bourbon – The best bourbon for this cocktail is a low-proof bourbon like Buffalo Trace. Look for Bourbons with a 90 proof.
- 8 Mint Leaves – Plus mint sprigs for garnish. Pluck the mint leaves from the bottom leaving about 4 to 6 leaves at the top. You can use these sprigs for a garnish by stabbing the stem through the middle of the cucumber and sliding the cucumber up to the leaves.
- 1 oz. Simple Syrup – Simple syrup is a 1:1 ratio of water to sugar. Heat the water and sugar over medium-low heat until the sugar is dissolved. Transfer the syrup to an airtight container and allow it to cool.
- 1 oz. Lime Juice – Fresh squeezed lime juice from about 1 lime.
- 2 Cucumber Slices – One for the cocktail shaker and one for the garnish.
It’s important to note that the quality of the ingredients can make or break the cocktail, so make sure to use fresh, high-quality ingredients for the best taste.
How to Make the Kentucky Maid Cocktail
To make the Cucumber Whiskey Cocktail, start by grabbing a handful of fresh mint leaves, a cucumber slice, and 1 oz. simple syrup. Gently muddle them in the bottom of a cocktail shaker.
Next, add 2 oz of your chosen Kentucky Bourbon, 1 oz. of fresh lime juice, and 1 oz of simple syrup. Fill with ice.
Shake vigorously for about 30 seconds, then double-strain the mixture into a glass filled with fresh ice. Top with a sprig of mint and a cucumber slice for garnish.
For those who want to mix it up, there are several variations of the Kentucky Maid to try.
Variations of the Kentucky Maid
For those who want to venture outside the classic Kentucky Maid recipe, there are many ways to switch things up and try new flavors.
- One option is to add some fresh fruit, such as strawberries or raspberries, to the cocktail. This gives it a fruity and refreshing twist, perfect for a summer day.
- Another variation is to add Ginger Beer or Club Soda. It gives the cocktail some fizz and bite. If you love Bourbon and Ginger Beer you will love our Kentucky Mule Cocktail. It is another refreshing Summer Bourbon Cocktail.
- For those who prefer a sweeter drink, adding a touch more simple syrup can create a smoother and more indulgent taste. Adjust the simple syrup to your taste.
- Put gin in place of bourbon, and you’ve got the Old Maid.
- Reach for Irish whiskey, and then it’s the Irish Maid.
Whatever your favorite drink, there’s a Maid for you – and one for each season, too. Try the Kentucky Maid for a refreshingly original cocktail that packs a punch.
Other Summer Bourbon Cocktails to Try
Once you’ve tried all the variations of the Kentucky Maid, don’t stop there. There are plenty of other summer bourbon cocktails to explore and enjoy.
- If you’re looking for a classic cocktail, try our Bourbon Sour. This drink combines bourbon, lemon juice, and a touch of simple syrup for a tangy yet sweet flavor.
- If you are feeling festive, try our Bourbon Margarita. This unique riff off the classic combines bourbon, lime juice, agave syrup, and mint for a twist on a classic summer drink.
- If you love bourbon just as much as we do check out the Bourbon Category on this website or view our list of Best Bourbon Cocktails. We have classic bourbon cocktails to new and exciting riffs.
With so many summer bourbon cocktails to choose from, there’s no reason to limit yourself to just the Kentucky Maid. Get creative in your experimentation and you might just discover your new favorite drink. Cheers to a summer filled with delicious bourbon cocktails!,
The Kentucky Maid cocktail is the perfect summer drink that embodies the flavors of the season. With its light and refreshing taste, it’s perfect for any summer gathering, be it a pool party or a backyard barbecue. The recipe is easy to make, and with its versatile nature, it can easily be customized to suit individual tastes. So why not treat yourself and your guests to a delicious batch of Kentucky Maid cocktails at your next summer event? As the saying goes, “Life is too short to drink bad cocktails.”
Here is our recipe for a Kentucky Maid
- 8 Mint Leaves
- 1 oz. Simple Syrup
- 2 Cucumber Slices
- 1 oz. Lime Juice
- 2 oz. Bourbon
- 1 Fresh Mint Sprig
- In a cocktail shaker add mint leaves, 1 cucumber slice, and simple syrup; Muddle gently.
- Add Bourbon, lime juice, and ice; shake for about 30 seconds.
- Double strain into an ice-filled glass.
- Garnish with a slice of cucumber and mint.
1. You will want to double strain to catch the bits of mint and cucumber seeds. To double strain place a small mesh strainer over the glass to catch the bits your cocktail shaker doesn't.
2. Read the article above for all tips, tricks, and variations for the Kentucky Maid. Plus a link to all of our Bourbon Cocktail Recipes.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 1 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 248Total Fat: 1gSaturated Fat: 0gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 0gCholesterol: 0mgSodium: 34mgCarbohydrates: 28gFiber: 8gSugar: 15gProtein: 4g
All amounts are estimates and DailyAppetite takes no responsibility for actual figures since calculations vary by packaging and supplier.