This Sweet Potato Souffle with Pecans Recipe is my favorite Thanksgiving side dish. The sweet potato souffle is sweet like pie filling with a crunchy pecan streusel topping.
Sweet Potato Souffle with a pecan streusel topping is a sweet and crunchy side dish for your Thanksgiving Dinner.
Ingredients for Sweet Potato Souffle
- Sweet Potatoes
- Vanilla Extract
- Brown Sugar
- Chopped Pecans
How to Make Sweet Potato Souffle
- First, boil sweet potatoes until they are fork-tender. Depending on the size of the sweet potatoes this can take between 15 and 30 minutes. Drain the potatoes and let cool. Once cooled remove the skins and discard.
- Next, place sweet potatoes in your stand mixer and beat until smooth and fluffy. Remove any stringy fibers from the mixer.
- Now add the sugar, milk, butter, vanilla, beaten egg, and salt to the mixer and mix on medium speed until fluffy.
- Finally, prepare a baking dish by greasing the baking dish with butter. Next, pour the sweet potato mixture into your baking dish.
- Make the streusel topping by whisking together melted butter, brown sugar, flour, and chopped pecans. Sprinkle the streusel topping evenly over the sweet potato mixture. Place the baking dish in the oven and bake for 40 minutes at 350F degrees.
Is Sweet Potato Souffle a Dessert or Side Dish?
It can be both but we traditionally serve it as a side dish. The sweet potato souffle is sweet and has a texture just like pie. The brown sugar and pecan streusel topping add even more sweetness and crunch. You can definitely serve this as a dessert in place of a sweet potato pie or pumpkin pie.
Making Sweet Potato Souffle Ahead of Time
Can sweet potato souffle be made ahead of time? Yes, you can make it up to three days ahead of serving time. Once out of the oven allow the sweet potato souffle to cool. Once cooled cover and keep refrigerated. To reheat cover the souffle with aluminum foil. Place in a heated 350 F oven and allow it to heat through. Roughly 20 minutes.
I have not frozen then reheated the souffle so I can not say how it will turn out after being thawed/reheated. My thoughts are that you can; considering that this souffle is similar to a pie. Since I have not tested my theory I can’t recommend freezing this sweet potato souffle.
Here is an article on freshness/how long a sweet potato lasts.
- If you have an Instant Pot, instead of boiling sweet potatoes, steam them in your instant pot for 15 to 20 minutes.
- Removing the sweet potato skins is easy. Once they are cooked the skin peels right off. Just punch the skin with a knife and peel. The skin and the potato detach during cooking.
- Remove stringy fibers. These fibers will be stuck on your mixer’s beaters.
- Double the streusel recipe for MILE HIGH Streusel topping.
- This recipe can be made in a 9×13 or a 2-quart baking dish.
Sweet Potato Souffle Leftovers
How long is sweet potato souffle good for? If refrigerated it can last up to 4 days. I made this souffle on a Monday and the leftovers were still good on Thursday. The texture of the souffle and streusel topping was great. The pecans were still crunchy too.
If you have leftovers be sure to cover them with foil or transfer them into a container with a lid.
I even enjoy the sweet potato souffle cold the next morning with a cup of coffee. Even though it is served as a side dish it does remind me of pie! I love cold pie and coffee for breakfast. It is such a great combination.
More Sweet Potato Recipes
Sweet Potato Souffle Recipe
- 2 pounds sweet potatoes
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup milk
- 1/4 cup melted butter
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1/3 cup flour
- 1/4 cup melted butter
- 1/2 cup chopped pecans
- Boil sweet potatoes until fork tender. Depending on size this can be from 15 to 30 minutes. Drain potatoes, let cool, and remove skins.
- Place potatoes in a stand mixer and beat until smooth. Remove any thick stringy fibers.
- Add the sugar, milk, butter, vanilla, egg, and salt and beat until fluffy
- Butter a 2-quart baking dish and pour in the potato mixture.
- Prepare the streusel topping by whisking together the ingredients.
- Sprinkle streusel topping evenly over the top of the potato mixture.
- Bake for 40 minutes in a preheated 350 F degree oven.
If your streusel isn't browned you can broil the sweet potato souffle on high for 2 to 3 minutes to get a sweet crunchy streusel on top.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 8 Serving Size: 1 grams
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 333Total Fat: 17gUnsaturated Fat: 0gSodium: 153mgCarbohydrates: 54gSugar: 32gProtein: 4g