Creamy and comforting Dutch Oven Chicken and Dumplings Recipe with homemade dumplings and rotisserie chicken. A classic southern-style comfort food.
Serve up a warm comforting bowl of southern homemade chicken and dumplings for a cozy dinner on a cold winter day.
Ingredients for Southern Chicken and Dumplings
Southern style chicken and dumplings are a stew-like recipe where chicken and biscuit dough is simmered to cook in chicken broth.
- Cream of Chicken Soup
- Chicken Broth
- Vegetable Oil
- Rotisserie Chicken
- Celery Seed
- Ground Black Pepper
- All-purpose Flour
- Baking Powder
For this chicken and dumplings recipe, you will need a Dutch Oven. Once the ingredients are in the dutch oven the meal is simmered with the dutch oven lid on. This cooks the dumplings so you get that biscuit dough-like dumplings.
Refrigerate leftover chicken and dumplings for up to two days. Reheat in the microwave in 30-second intervals stirring in between until the desired temperature.
- Crock-pot Chicken and Dumplings Made with Biscuits
- Crock-pot Chicken and Stuffing
- Crock-pot Chicken and Gravy
Southern Homemade Chicken and Dumplings Recipe
- 10.75 oz cream of chicken soup
- 14.5 oz chicken broth
- 4 oz milk
- 1 tbsp vegetable oil
- 1/4 cup diced onion
- 1/2 cup chopped celery
- 2 cups shredded rotisserie chicken
- 1/2 tsp celery seed
- 1 tsp ground black pepper
For the Dumplings
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup milk
- 2 tbsp vegetable oil
- In a large Dutch oven heat 1 tbsp oil over medium heat. Add onion and celery and saute until onions are tender.
- Stir in cream of chicken, chicken broth, and milk.
- Next, stir in shredded chicken, celery seed, and pepper.
- Reduce heat to low and simmer 30 minutes.
For the Dumplings
- In a large mixing bowl mix together all-purpose flour, baking powder, and salt.
- In a small bowl mix together the milk and 2 tsp of vegetable oil.
- Pour milk mixture into the flour mixture and stir until dough is formed.
- Measure spoonfuls of dough OR roll out the dough and cut into 1-inch strips and drop into the Dutch Oven. Use a wooden spoon to push the dough down into the simmering liquid.
- Cover and simmer for another 15 minutes. Keep covered for dumplings to cook through.
- Serve in bowls.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 6 Serving Size: 1 grams
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 376Total Fat: 20gSaturated Fat: 4gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 13gCholesterol: 101mgSodium: 1318mgCarbohydrates: 24gFiber: 1gSugar: 3gProtein: 25g
All amounts are estimates and DailyAppetite takes no responsibility for actual figures since calculations vary by packaging and supplier.