Biscuits and Chocolate Gravy recipe topped with bacon crumbles. Buttery biscuits with a heaping scoop of this chocolate gravy recipe is a southern breakfast delight.
The first time I had biscuits and chocolate gravy was when I was a kid. I spent the night with a friend and her mother made this for us. Talk about a bunch of happy kids!
Chocolate Gravy orginated in the Southern United States.
Hot buttery biscuits covered in warm chocolate gravy and sprinkled with bacon crumbles.
The breakfast combination reminds me of a chocolate-frosted donut.
Ingredients for Chocolate Gravy
Make this a simple breakfast and buy frozen biscuits that are ready to bake. Don’t forget to make some bacon to crumble over the top of your Chocolate Gravy Biscuits.
- cocoa powder
- all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon butter
- vanilla extract
How to Homemade Chocolate Gravy and Biscuits
If you are adding the bacon crumbles, cook 3 to 4 slices of bacon until crispy. Pat dry and crumble.
Place biscuits on a baking sheet and brush the tops of the biscuits with bacon grease or butter. This will give the biscuits an extra salty flavor that works so well with chocolate. Bake the biscuits as directed. Meanwhile, start working on the chocolate gravy.
In a mixing bowl combine sugar, cocoa powder, flour, and salt. Add milk and stir until blended.
Next, melt butter in a saucepan. Add the chocolate mixture and cook on medium-low heat. Stir until the sauce has thickened.
Pour chocolate gravy over the biscuits. Then sprinkle with bacon crumbles over the top.
Recipe for Biscuits and Chocolate Gravy
- 4 strips of bacon.
- 10 frozen buttermilk biscuits
- 2 tablespoon bacon grease or butter, for brushing the tops of the biscuits
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup cocoa powder
- 3 tablespoon flour
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups milk
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 1 tablespoon butter
- Cook bacon as directed. Crumble bacon and set aside.
- Brush tops of biscuits with bacon grease or butter.
- Bake biscuits as directed.
- In a mixing bowl combine sugar, cocoa powder, salt and flour.
- Add milk and vanilla and stir until blended.
- Melt butter in a saucepan.
- Add chocolate mixture to saucepan.
- On low to medium heat cook and stir until sauce has thickened.
- Pour chocolate gravy over biscuits.
- Sprinkle bacon crumbles on top.
Make the chocolate gravy extra rich and do a heaping 1/4 cup scoop of the cocoa powder.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 10 Serving Size: 1 grams
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 400Total Fat: 18gSaturated Fat: 6gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 11gCholesterol: 19mgSodium: 558mgCarbohydrates: 50gFiber: 1gSugar: 19gProtein: 8g