Mouthwatering Chicken Scarpariello Recipe with juicy chicken thighs, Italian sausage, and sweet peppers. A delicious chicken and sausage recipe.
Tender juicy chicken thighs and Italian Sausage with sweet cherry peppers in a sweet sauce. A delicious American-Italian Chicken Dinner Recipe for a Sunday dinner.
Before You Turn on Your Stove
- Read the recipe before starting.
- Prep ingredients (chopping & measuring)
- Have a kitchen timer.
This chicken scarpariello recipe takes some time and you don’t want to mess this one up!
Ingredients for Chicken Scarpariello
Chicken Scarpariello, also known as Shoemaker’s Chicken, is an Italian-American recipe full of flavor and textures. Below is the list of ingredients needed for this scarpariello recipe.
- Olive Oil
- Mild Italian Sausage
- Boneless Chicken Thighs
- Cracked Pepper
- Red or Orange Bell Peppers
- Garlic Cloves
- Chicken Broth
- Jarred Sweet Cherry Peppers
- Dried Oregano
- Fresh Parsley
(Scroll to the bottom for the recipe card.)
Cast Iron Skillet
There is a lot of ingredients so you will need at 12-inch cast-iron skillet or larger for this recipe.
BONUS: Check out 40 Cast Iron Skillet Recipes from Breakfast to Dessert all in one place.
Watch this video on how to clean your cast iron skillet.
Recipe Substitutions for a Spicier Taste
- Mild Italian Sausage for Spicy Italian Sausage
- Sweet Cherry Peppers for Hot Cherry Peppers
- Sweet Cherry Pepper Liquid for Hot Cherry Pepper Liquid
Also, you can swap out 1/2 cup chicken broth for 1/2 cup dry white wine.
Sweet Cherry Peppers
WHERE TO BUY
- Sweet Cherry Peppers come in a jar and can be usually found in the same aisle as salad dressings and olives.
- You can buy them on Amazon.
I used about 3/4 of the jar for this recipe.
HOW TO SEED AND CHOP CHERRY PEPPERS
- Cut off the top of the cherry pepper.
- Take a 1/8th teaspoon and scoop out the seeds.
- Lay flat and roughly chop.
For this recipe, I used 1 orange bell pepper and 1 red bell pepper. Seeded and sliced.
Handling Leftover Chicken Scarpariello
- Remove leftover chicken scarpariello from the cast iron skillet and transfer to an airtight container. Store in the refrigerator for up to 2 days.
- Reheat in a skillet over medium heat. Stir occasionally until heated through.
- Or, Microwave in 45-second intervals, stirring, until heated through.
Temping the Chicken
Chicken is done and safe to eat when it reaches an internal temperature of 165 Degrees Fahrenheit.
Use a digital food thermometer to check chicken before serving.
Serve by itself as it is a meal all on its own.
Or serve with a side of rice or mashed potatoes.
Recipe for Chicken Scarpariello
Classic American-Italian recipe with juicy chicken thighs, mouthwatering sweet Italian sausage, and peppers.
- 3 tbsp olive oil divided
- 1 19 oz. package mild Italian sausage links
- 2.5 pounds boneless chicken thighs
- 1 tsp salt divided
- 1/2 tsp cracked pepper
- 1 medium onion chopped
- 2 red or orange bell peppers sliced into strips
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 1 cup chicken broth divided
- 1/2 cup Jarred sweet cherry peppers coarsely chopped and seeded
- 1/2 cup liquid from cherry pepper jar
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- chopped parsley for garnish
Heat 1 tbsp of oil over medium-high heat.
Add sausage and stir and cook until all sides are browned. About 10 minutes. Remove from skillet and set aside.
Heat 1 tbsp oil in the same skillet.
Add chicken thighs in a single layer. (Cook in batches if necessary) Sprinkle with salt and pepper. Cook each side for 5 minutes or until browned. Remove from skillet and set aside.
Drain fat from skillet.
Heat remaining 1 tbsp oil in the same skillet.
Add chopped onion and 1/2 tsp salt. Cook for about 2 minutes scraping brown bits from the bottom of the skillet.
Add bell peppers and garlic. Cook and stir for 5 minutes.
Stir in half of the chicken broth. Cook until half of the liquid is reduced.
Stir in remaining chicken broth, cherry peppers, cherry pepper liquid, and oregano. Bring to a simmer.
Return sausage and chicken to the skillet. Partially cover and simmer for 10 minutes or until chicken is cooked through (internal temp reaches 165F)
Garnish with fresh chopped parsley.