Mouthwatering Chicken Scarpariello Recipe with juicy chicken thighs, Italian sausage, and sweet peppers. A delicious chicken and sausage recipe.
Chicken Scarpariello is a one-pot recipe loaded with tender juicy chicken thighs and Italian sausage with sweet cherry peppers in a sweet sauce. This delicious chicken and Italian sausage recipe is perfect for Sunday dinner.
There are a lot of steps to this recipe. Before starting follow these tips.
- Read the recipe before starting.
- Prep ingredients (chopping & measuring)
- Have a kitchen timer.
This chicken and sausage scarpariello recipe takes some time and you don’t want to mess this one up!
Ingredients for Chicken Scarpariello
Chicken Scarpariello, also known as Shoemaker’s Chicken, is an Italian-American recipe full of flavor and textures. Below is the list of ingredients needed for this scarpariello recipe.
- Olive Oil
- Mild Italian Sausage
- Boneless Chicken Thighs
- Cracked Pepper
- Red or Orange Bell Peppers
- Garlic Cloves
- Chicken Broth
- Jarred Sweet Cherry Peppers. Sweet Cherry Peppers come in a jar and can be usually found in the same aisle as salad dressings and olives.
- Dried Oregano
- Fresh Parsley
(Scroll to the bottom for the recipe card.)
There are a lot of ingredients so you will need a 12-inch cast-iron skillet or larger for this recipe.
Variations and substitutions for chicken scarpariello.
- Mild Italian Sausage for Spicy Italian Sausage
- Sweet Cherry Peppers for Hot Cherry Peppers
- Sweet Cherry Pepper Liquid for Hot Cherry Pepper Liquid
- Swap chicken thighs for chicken breasts.
- Swap out 1/2 cup chicken broth for 1/2 cup dry white wine.
Handling Leftover Chicken Scarpariello
- Remove leftover chicken scarpariello from the cast iron skillet and transfer to an airtight container. Store in the refrigerator for up to 2 days.
- Reheat in a skillet over medium heat. Stir occasionally until heated through.
- Or, Microwave in 45-second intervals, stirring, until heated through.
What To Serve With Chicken Scarpariello
Don’t get too crazy with the sides. This recipe is loaded with sausage and peppers. One side should do. Here are our suggestions on what to serve with chicken scarpariello.
- Italian Bread
- Over pasta
- Mashed Potatoes
- Roasted Potatoes
Serve this chicken scarpariello recipe by itself as it is a meal all on its own.
Recipe for Chicken Scarpariello
- 3 tbsp olive oil, divided
- 1 19 oz. package mild Italian sausage links
- 2.5 pounds boneless chicken thighs
- 1 tsp salt, divided
- 1/2 tsp cracked pepper
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 red or orange bell peppers, sliced into strips
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 cup chicken broth, divided
- 1/2 cup Jarred sweet cherry peppers, coarsely chopped and seeded
- 1/2 cup liquid from cherry pepper jar
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- chopped parsley for garnish
- Heat 1 tbsp of oil over medium-high heat.
- Add sausage and stir and cook until all sides are browned. About 10 minutes. Remove from skillet and set aside.
- Heat 1 tbsp oil in the same skillet.
- Add chicken thighs in a single layer. (Cook in batches if necessary) Sprinkle with salt and pepper. Cook each side for 5 minutes or until browned. Remove from skillet and set aside.
- Drain fat from skillet.
- Heat remaining 1 tbsp oil in the same skillet.
- Add chopped onion and 1/2 tsp salt. Cook for about 2 minutes scraping brown bits from the bottom of the skillet.
- Add bell peppers and garlic. Cook and stir for 5 minutes.
- Stir in half of the chicken broth. Cook until half of the liquid is reduced.
- Stir in remaining chicken broth, cherry peppers, cherry pepper liquid, and oregano. Bring to a simmer.
- Return sausage and chicken to the skillet. Partially cover and simmer for 10 minutes or until chicken is cooked through (internal temp reaches 165F)
- Garnish with fresh chopped parsley.
HOW TO SEED AND CHOP CHERRY PEPPERS
- Cut off the top of the cherry pepper.
- Use a 1/8th teaspoon to scoop out the seeds.
- Lay flat and roughly chop.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 6 Serving Size: 1 grams
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 318Total Fat: 15.7gSaturated Fat: 3gUnsaturated Fat: 5.7gCholesterol: 162.4mgSodium: 620.4mgCarbohydrates: 4gFiber: 1.3gSugar: 2gProtein: 39g
BONUS: Check out 40 Cast Iron Skillet Recipes from Breakfast to Dessert all in one place.