Pellet Grilled Smoked Drumsticks Recipe. These BBQ Smoked Chicken Drumsticks are sweet and sticky.
I blended Sweet Baby Ray’s BBQ Sauce and Frank’s Sweet Chili Sauce to make this sweet and sticky BBQ sauce for these smoked drumsticks. These drumsticks are smoked on a Pellet Grill for just over an hour. Sweet, sticky, and juicy smoked chicken drumsticks (legs).
Ingredients for Smoked Drumsticks
(Scroll to the bottom for the Smoked Drumsticks Recipe Card.)
With these ingredients, you can swap out for different rubs or bbq sauces.
- Chicken Drumsticks
- BBQ Chicken Rub (We use a local Illinois brand called Nick’s Special Seasoning. We love it so much we order it in bulk and put it on everything.)
- Sweet Baby Ray’s Hickory Brown Sugar BBQ Sauce
- Frank’s Sweet Chili Sauce
How to Make Smoked Chicken Drumsticks
I make these Smoked Drumsticks on a Traeger Pellet Grill.
First prep the chicken legs and pat them dry with a paper towel. Season the chicken with BBQ chicken rub. Set your pellet grill to 180 F. and preheat with the lid closed for 15 minutes.
Next, place chicken drumsticks on the grill. Close the lid and smoke for 30 minutes turning the drumsticks halfway through the cooking time.
In a saucepan over medium heat stir together BBQ Sauce and Sweet Chili Sauce. Remove from heat and set aside.
Brush on BBQ sauce mixture and then increase the grill temperature to 350 F. Cook for 40 minutes. Halfway through the cooking time turn the drumsticks and brush on more of the BBQ sauce mixture.
Temp drumsticks. Continue to cook until internal temp reaches 165 F. Then serve!
- Don’t skip brushing on extra sauce onto the chicken drumsticks when you turn them. The extra sauce keeps the smoked drumsticks moist.
What to Serve with BBQ Smoked Chicken Drumsticks
Make it a meal with some tasty sides.
How to Store Leftover Chicken Drumsticks
Store leftover chicken drumsticks in an airtight container in your refrigerator. They are good for 3 to 4 days.
Smoked Drumsticks Variations
Keep the cooking method the same just swap out flavors.
- Swap out different flavors of BBQ Sauce.
- Use different types of marinades.
- Try different BBQ rubs.
Smoked Drumsticks Recipe
- 8 Chicken Drumsticks
- 2 tbsp Chicken Rub, (See post above for what we use.)
- 2 cups Sweet Baby Ray's Hickory Brown Sugar BBQ Sauce
- 1 cup Frank's Sweet Chili Sauce
- Prep chicken legs by patting them dry with a paper towel.
- Season the chicken with BBQ chicken rub.
- Set your pellet grill to 180°F and preheat with the lid closed for 15 minutes.
- Next, place chicken drumsticks on the grill. Close the lid and smoke for 30 minutes turning the drumsticks halfway through the cooking time.
- In a saucepan over medium heat stir together BBQ Sauce and Sweet Chili Sauce. Remove from heat and set aside.
- Brush BBQ sauce mixture onto the drumsticks. Next, increase the grill temperature to 350 F.
- Cook drumsticks for 40 minutes. Halfway through the cooking time turn the drumsticks and brush on more BBQ sauce mixture.
- Temp drumsticks. Continue to cook until internal temp reaches 165 F. Then serve!
Read the post above for recipe tips and variations.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 8 Serving Size: 1 grams
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 366Total Fat: 7gUnsaturated Fat: 0gSodium: 1228mgCarbohydrates: 54gSugar: 46gProtein: 22g