Instant Pot Mashed Potatoes Recipe. See how easy it is to make mashed potatoes in your pressure cooker with this recipe.
This post contains affiliate links.
When you first get your Instant Pot it can be a little intimidating. When I got mine I kept it simple and started with boiled eggs. Does this sound familiar? Then I moved on to chicken and tackled other simple things like beans. I considered these easy beginner Instant Pot recipes and it includes this recipe for Instant Pot Mashed Potatoes. I will never go back to doing mashed potatoes the old way in a pot of boiling water. The pressure cooker makes the classic mashed potatoes recipe even easier.
How is cooking Mashed Potatoes in a Pressure Cooker easier?
- You don’t have to wait for water to come to a boil.
- You don’t have to chop the potatoes so they cook evenly.
- No more stabbing the potatoes with a fork to see if they are done.
Kitchen Tools you need to make Instant Pot Mashed Potatoes.
- Instant Pot or Pressure Cooker – I have the 6 quart Instant Pot.
- Potato Masher – I prefer the texture of mashed not whipped potatoes and this tool does the trick.
- Peeler – This is my favorite peeler. I use it almost daily. It has so many uses. Peeling fruits and veggies and making garnishes like chocolate curls.
Pressure cooker mashed potatoes taste just like regular mashed potatoes. The cooking method is the only thing that has changed.
Recipe for Instant Pot Mashed Potatoes
Instant Pot Mashed Potatoes
Instant Pot Mashed Potatoes Recipe
- 5 russet potatoes peeled
- 2 cups water
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 stick butter sliced into fourths for faster melting
- 3 oz cream cheese cubed for easy melting
- to taste salt
- to taste pepper
- to taste garlic powder
- fresh thyme or parsley for garnish
Place peeled potatoes in your instant pot.
Pour in 2 cups of water and 1/2 teaspoon salt into your instant pot.
Cover and and move the lever to "sealing"
Press the steam button and set timer for 12 minutes.
Once cooking time has ended do a quick release by moving the lever to "venting". Once the released steam has ended and the floating valve has dropped remove the lid to your instant pot.
Drain the potatoes in a colander.
Place potatoes back into the instant pot.
Add in the remaining ingredients (except garnishes) and mash with a potato masher.
Stir until all ingredients are well blended.
Place mashed potatoes in a serving bowl and put a tablespoon of butter on top and garnish with parsley or thyme.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites