Try making your own croutons! All you need is some stale bread, a few seasonings, and some olive oil. Whether you’re topping a salad or adding crunch to your soup, homemade croutons are a great way to elevate your cooking. Just follow a few simple steps and you’ll have crunchy, delicious croutons in no time.
Transform your pantry’s leftover bread into something special—homemade croutons! Once you try this simple recipe, you’ll never go back to store-bought croutons again.
Follow our easy instructions to create the perfect crunchy accompaniment to your favorite salads, soups, and more.
Craving something crunchy? Croutons might be your savior. These little toasted bread cubes are packed with flavor, super easy to make, and guaranteed to add a delicious crunch to any salad or soup. Plus, once you’ve tasted homemade croutons, you’ll be dying to make them again with every loaf of slightly stale bread.
What can I make with Stale Bread?
Whenever I cruise through the market, a baguette always finds its way into my cart. I don’t always have a plan for it, but having some around is always a must. Plus, who can resist the versatility that fresh bread offers?
Unfortunately, a forgotten baguette can easily become stale over time. Instead of throwing it away, I can whip up a delicious Pumpkin Bread Pudding or Banana Bread Pudding. And of course, add some crunch to any salad with homemade croutons. In either case, stale bread never tasted so good!
Flavor your Croutons
Once you get this basic recipe down get creative and add different seasonings.
Try these seasonings to make your own recipe.
- Nutmeg (for Fall inspired salads)
- Toss in Ranch powdered mix
- Taco seasoning – Try our homemade recipe.
- Chinese 5 spice
- Herbs de Provence
Top your Chef’s Salad or any salad with this easy Homemade Croutons Recipe.
How to Make Croutons Recipe
- 1/2 loaf of a stale French Baguette, cubed
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1/8 tsp salt
- 1 tsp Italian Seasoning blend
- 1/4 tsp garlic powder
- In a large bowl mix together the olive oil, salt, Italian seasoning, and garlic powder.
- Add bread cubes and toss to coat with olive oil mixture.
- Lay bread cubes flat on a cookie sheet.
- Bake for 5 minutes at 375F.
- Remove from the oven and toss the croutons.
- Place back in the oven and bake for another 3 minutes.
- Remove from oven and let cool.
- Store in an airtight container or in a zip lock plastic bag. Squeeze the excess air out of the ziplock bag.
- Serve on salads, soups, or eat as a crunchy snack.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 8 Serving Size: 1 grams
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 140Total Fat: 7gSaturated Fat: 1gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 6gCholesterol: 0mgSodium: 212mgCarbohydrates: 15gFiber: 1gSugar: 1gProtein: 3g
All amounts are estimates and DailyAppetite takes no responsibility for actual figures since calculations vary by packaging and supplier.